Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Better Soldering Iron idea on quirky

jclongenex

Jun 13, 2012
I am new to the forum, and I am an ex-hobbyist who is looking to get involved with the hobby again. Electronics is something that I have been passionate about for a while. I recently submitted an idea to quirky that would make it easier for you to solder. Please check the link below and vote for it:

http://www.quirky.com/ideations/243944

Thank you! All support is appreciated.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
A novel idea, but I don't see it ever working as described or even properly at all... To properly solder (or braze) you heat the object that is going to be soldered not the solder itself, doing it in reverse only leads to cold solder joints as the component and pad never get up to a proper temp for the solder to bond, or even flow properly...

Brings back memories of those mini arc welders they were marketing a few years back as cold soldering irons...

Slobin3d

Jun 13, 2012
A novel idea, but I don't see it ever working as described or even properly at all... To properly solder (or braze) you heat the object that is going to be soldered not the solder itself, doing it in reverse only leads to cold solder joints as the component and pad never get up to a proper temp for the solder to bond, or even flow properly...

Brings back memories of those mini arc welders they were marketing a few years back as cold soldering irons...

Yes, my first thought was those instant soldering tools too, the proper way to solder items is to Tin both work pieces, then use a heat bridge to join the 2 tinned pieces together.

I found that most people use an soldering iron that is too low a wattage to quickly and efficiently transfer the heat, causing the person soldering to hold the iron on the parts too long waiting to melt the solder, in turn causing damage to the parts being soldered.