Connect with us

Best way to controll a Voltage regulator!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by crystal please, Dec 2, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. crystal please

crystal please

Jul 5, 2016
    Hi,
    I want to control a voltage regulator (LT3080) using a PIC18F4523 running at 8MHZ.
    I would like to generate a control voltage, for the above regulator, that is reasonably accurate (2mV steps).
    I came up with two possible solutions and would like you to help me to decide which one is the best.

Solution 1)
    Use a PWM signal + RC filter + voltage follower.
    If I choose this method what PWM frequency is most effective? And do I need a very precice Op Amp?

Solution 2)
    Use a D.A.C. (like MCP4922) + voltage follower.
    If I choose this method what are the kind of issue I have to take care-of?

I would really like to hear you opinion!

Regards
    crystal

2. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Solution 2 for me.
    Thanks
    Adam

3. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    What is the voltage range and/or application you want the regulator to use in?
    For certain applications there are specialized, digitally programmable regulators, see e.g. here.

And here's a Microchip application using a DAC and an LM2670 linear regulator.

4. Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
    Use a PWM signal + RC filter + voltage follower transistor (emitter-follower).
    Use any frequency as the filter will will remove the fluctuations.

5. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    How quickly must the supply output respond to a step change, like going from 5 V to 12 V? This affects the PWM frequency and filter design.

ak

Ask a Question