Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Best place to buy a variety of parts to start learning.

jdraughn

Dec 16, 2008
I got a couple of variety packs of resistors, and a multipack of capacitors, a couple of 555 timers, a couple of PNP and NPN transistors, a few leds and momentary switches so I could start teaching myself how electronics work, and how they work together to make different kinds of circuits.

Problem is, about every single "simple" project I want to do requires parts I simply don't have. I could look at a few different projects that I may want to do, and order those specific parts, but I know I will come to the next project which again requires something I don't have, and spend days waiting to get it shipped to me.

Does anyone know of some kind of "kit" that has a multitude of different components, and a few of the more common ic's required to complete most of the very simple circuits? (but not the old school 300 in 1, ect. kits, those are just too expensive for what you get).

I have started desoldering craploads of components from old devices that I bought from the local thriftstore in the hopes that they may have the component I need. I will look up the chip online to see if it's common or proprietory, and if it looks like something I could use, then I desolder it and save it.

I like how you can order 200/350/500 ect.. resistor kits on ebay for around 10 to 20.00. Same thing with capacitors, ect... but I am mainly concerned with IC's. op amps, timer circuits, voltage regulators, ect...

Anyone have any recommendations on which IC's to order, or a kit which contains the more common IC's to build most simple and moderate circuits?
Also, I have mostly been using doctronics website (can't post the actual link cause im new) to teach myself so far, I think it's a fantastic website. Can anyone recommend any other websites or books to teach by doing how circuits work?

I have a prototype board with a PIC18F IC and just ordered a programmer/debugger for it, but I really want to understand how to build any circuit I may want to build from scratch because I want to actually understand whats going on.

Thanks much!

neon

Oct 21, 2006
I got a couple of variety packs of resistors, and a multipack of capacitors, a couple of 555 timers, a couple of PNP and NPN transistors, a few leds and momentary switches so I could start teaching myself how electronics work, and how they work together to make different kinds of circuits.

Problem is, about every single "simple" project I want to do requires parts I simply don't have. I could look at a few different projects that I may want to do, and order those specific parts, but I know I will come to the next project which again requires something I don't have, and spend days waiting to get it shipped to me.

Does anyone know of some kind of "kit" that has a multitude of different components, and a few of the more common ic's required to complete most of the very simple circuits? (but not the old school 300 in 1, ect. kits, those are just too expensive for what you get).

I have started desoldering craploads of components from old devices that I bought from the local thriftstore in the hopes that they may have the component I need. I will look up the chip online to see if it's common or proprietory, and if it looks like something I could use, then I desolder it and save it.

I like how you can order 200/350/500 ect.. resistor kits on ebay for around 10 to 20.00. Same thing with capacitors, ect... but I am mainly concerned with IC's. op amps, timer circuits, voltage regulators, ect...

Anyone have any recommendations on which IC's to order, or a kit which contains the more common IC's to build most simple and moderate circuits?
Also, I have mostly been using doctronics website (can't post the actual link cause im new) to teach myself so far, I think it's a fantastic website. Can anyone recommend any other websites or books to teach by doing how circuits work?

I have a prototype board with a PIC18F IC and just ordered a programmer/debugger for it, but I really want to understand how to build any circuit I may want to build from scratch because I want to actually understand whats going on.

Thanks much!

GO TO GOODWILL INDUSTRY they have from big Tv to VCR AND THEN SOME .