Maker Pro
Maker Pro

best electronics and electric motor book for beginners

richard m

Dec 8, 2010
hi,
im just wondering what would be the best book for beginners for electronics and electric motors especially DC motors,
thanks

TBennettcc

Dec 4, 2010
A highly recommended book has always been "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
...but perhaps not for DC motors, or absolute beginners.

It's more of an intermediate level text for those that want theory without mathematics.

Not saying that it isn't worth looking at though.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Electronic motors book

Hi there. I am in the UK, i read a really good book a few years ago, blue cover paper back, i cant off hand remember the authors name, it was a library book, all the context explained uses function winding configerations motor types, start and run needs etc, it covered the lot, i will try to find the author and publisher, but should be avaliable in most countrys, there was some maths, but explained very well, i will try and look it up, or see if the library still has a copy so i can get details. Dave.

Digital_Angel_316

Oct 1, 2011
51-oweAr4sL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

[This is the Third Edition - check the reviews, there is a Second Edition that is also pretty good for foundational level study. The Third Edition in used condition starts at around $80 US, Second Edition used starts at under $25 US at Amazon.com. Certainly important updates, but do not affect the fundamentals as much as modern practices - for those on a budget the second edition may be perfectly fine].

From the Back Cover

Adhering to a one-concept-per-page philosophy, this standard-setting book combines a series of volumes designed specifically to teach electricity. From producing electricity to electromagnetism, from power sources to dynamotors, each volume offers complete coverage of a given area of knowledge, with topics progressing in carefully constructed, incremental steps designed to fully prepare readers for the volume ahead. Contains complete studies on producing electricity, D-C circuits, A-C circuits, LCR circuits, test equipment, power sources, and electric motors. Covers only one discrete topic or concept per page, and visually corresponds the concept with one or more illustrations relating to it on that same page. Defines and highlights all technical terms and key words at their point of introduction, and reiterates major points covered in prior topics to reinforce knowledge, aid in retention, and pave the way for smoother transitions. Third Edition now updates the atomic table list of elements, demonstrates current examples of electricity's uses; incorporates National Electric Code data throughout; expands coverage on the table of Standard Wire; includes considerable data on digital test equipment as well as electronic test meters, and much more. Ideal for Electrical Apprentice Training, Electrical Technology courses in trade schools, and for Corporate Training Programs.
  • Paperback: 1024 pages
  • Publisher: Prentice Hall; 3 edition (August 4, 1998)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0139178570
  • ISBN-13: 978-0139178573

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Electric motors books

Hi richard m.
This is one of the books i found most useful, but i am in the UK, not sure where you are but it a cracking book laid out in easy format , you dont need a physics degree for it, good all round book, motor types, winding configuration, induction magnetic circuits, control gear, single and three phase, great book.
Dave. :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/1854862464/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=266239&s=books

Author is Jim cox.

Last edited:

richard m

Dec 8, 2010
A highly recommended book has always been "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill.

i heard of that book and i plan on getting it in the future but heard its a bit more advanced, but thanks

richard m

Dec 8, 2010
Hi there. I am in the UK, i read a really good book a few years ago, blue cover paper back, i cant off hand remember the authors name, it was a library book, all the context explained uses function winding configerations motor types, start and run needs etc, it covered the lot, i will try to find the author and publisher, but should be avaliable in most countrys, there was some maths, but explained very well, i will try and look it up, or see if the library still has a copy so i can get details. Dave.

yeah send it on when you remember ;), thank you

richard m

Dec 8, 2010
51-oweAr4sL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

[This is the Third Edition - check the reviews, there is a Second Edition that is also pretty good for foundational level study. The Third Edition in used condition starts at around $80 US, Second Edition used starts at under $25 US at Amazon.com. Certainly important updates, but do not affect the fundamentals as much as modern practices - for those on a budget the second edition may be perfectly fine].

From the Back Cover

Adhering to a one-concept-per-page philosophy, this standard-setting book combines a series of volumes designed specifically to teach electricity. From producing electricity to electromagnetism, from power sources to dynamotors, each volume offers complete coverage of a given area of knowledge, with topics progressing in carefully constructed, incremental steps designed to fully prepare readers for the volume ahead. Contains complete studies on producing electricity, D-C circuits, A-C circuits, LCR circuits, test equipment, power sources, and electric motors. Covers only one discrete topic or concept per page, and visually corresponds the concept with one or more illustrations relating to it on that same page. Defines and highlights all technical terms and key words at their point of introduction, and reiterates major points covered in prior topics to reinforce knowledge, aid in retention, and pave the way for smoother transitions. Third Edition now updates the atomic table list of elements, demonstrates current examples of electricity's uses; incorporates National Electric Code data throughout; expands coverage on the table of Standard Wire; includes considerable data on digital test equipment as well as electronic test meters, and much more. Ideal for Electrical Apprentice Training, Electrical Technology courses in trade schools, and for Corporate Training Programs.
  • Paperback: 1024 pages
  • Publisher: Prentice Hall; 3 edition (August 4, 1998)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0139178570
  • ISBN-13: 978-0139178573

il take a look into that, il see if i can get it where i am,thanks

richard m

Dec 8, 2010
Hi richard m.
This is one of the books i found most useful, but i am in the UK, not sure where you are but it a cracking book laid out in easy format , you dont need a physics degree for it, good all round book, motor types, winding configuration, induction magnetic circuits, control gear, single and three phase, great book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/1854862464/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=266239&s=books

Author is Jim cox.

yea i saw that on amazon a few times and was wondering was it good, now i know ;)
but im living in ireland, gona buy something over the wknd, il take a look in waterstones first and decide.thanks

richard m

Dec 8, 2010
anyone know a book or links on the net about how to test circuit boards? components? etc etc

Digital_Angel_316

Oct 1, 2011
yea i saw that on amazon a few times and was wondering was it good, now i know ;)
but im living in ireland, gona buy something over the wknd, il take a look in waterstones first and decide.thanks

You may be able to get it on EBAY, I have seen them there both in the states and elsewhere - there are currently 11 listed and the prices look reasonable.

richard m

Dec 8, 2010
thanks lads,
that first link u put up on the electric motors dont work dave :)
where is the interactive part that you wer talking about ?
that price seems reasonable :) thanks a lot.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
components testing site

Hi again richard m.
The blue text at the bottom of the page takes you there.
The links below, try this.
PS, you can save the books in one of three formats.I chose PDF as ive got adobe x reader.
If you dont have it as a file format and reader program you can download it free from C Net or file hippo good free and shareware software sites.
Anyway link below. :)

http://www.talkingelectronics.com/te_interactive_index.html

Look and scroll down in the left pain for books, click them and get the option to download them free.

Last edited:

richard m

Dec 8, 2010
Hi again richard m.
The blue text at the bottom of the page takes you there.
The links below, try this.
PS, you can save the books in one of three formats.I chose PDF as ive got adobe x reader.
If you dont have it as a file format and reader program you can download it free from C Net or file hippo good free and shareware software sites.
Anyway link below. :)

http://www.talkingelectronics.com/te_interactive_index.html

Look and scroll down in the left pain for books, click them and get the option to download them free.

there was no blue text at the end of my page, but cheers for the link, that '' testing electronic components book'' looks very good, il download it for adobe,
you have been very helpful bud, :)