Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Best crimping tools for DIY

vassock

Nov 30, 2015
I want a versatile, but reliable, crimping tool for home DIY and repair. I'm trying to decide between Ancor 701030 Double Crimp Tool and Tricrimp Powerpole Crimper. I plan to use up to 10 gauge wire for electricity. Likewise, any suggestions for types of wire to use or the most reliable butt splice components?

I'm leaning towards the Ancor due to the double crimping aspect.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hi vassock,
I would go with the Ancor. But there are many ratchet crimpers for a lot less.
I have had my RS branded ratchet crimper for years! Exactly the same as Ancor.
But like all tools, it's a personal thing.

Martin

vassock

Nov 30, 2015
While I realize that you can't just buy any new crimper since the cheap ones can be terrible to the point of having crooked dies and being garbage before they are shipped, could you explain the benefit of buying a crimper that is this expensive? I ended up going for the Ancor 703030, which was a few more dollars, but is able to crimp wires as small as 26 AWG thanks to the fourth die slot. This is still about a third as expensive as the T&B above.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Basically, You get what you pay for.
T&B has been making quality products since 1917. They are pioneers in the field and have invented many of the lugs themselves as well as a wide array of fasteners.(including the ty-rap zip-tie)
Yes, you can save some money with off brands, but the quality of their products stands on its own. I have several crimpers that I've used and abused for almost 30 years now, and are as good as the day I bought them. I know that the lugs and the crimp die are perfectly matched for the wire I use, and I can quickly orient the top from the bottom from the color coded handles. (Yes, it does matter what side of the lug you crimp from)
I'm not saying they are the only game in town, I'm saying its a good idea to always buy well made tools that should last you a lifetime. (Or more)
But, that's just my opinion.
John

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Are any of these double-crimp-style like the Ancor? I assume double-crimping works with the same splicing butts, but is better.
Yes, but this "double crimp" feature is more gimmick than functional. It just means that the crimp dies are wide enough and have two crimp faces; one to crimp the metal ferrule over the wire and a second larger well that compresses the plastic entry funnel slightly over the wire insulation to sort of form a supportive strain relief. In practice, I've rarely seen this do much good as it depends on a careful or lucky combination of crimp die set, connector and wire.