Connect with us

Best cheap MCU for LED project

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by jason3w, Nov 14, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jason3w

jason3w

Dec 7, 2012
    Hey Guys,
    Just looking for some advice on the best MCU to use in a simple LED project.
    The unit is powered by 3 x LR44 and with cycle through 4 modes.
    Flashing RGB
    Flashing RB
    Flashing BG
    Slow fading between RGB
    and Press and hold to turn off.

Using a single 5mm RGB LED.

The main thing is price as we are going to make lots of these :)
    Like 10000 units to start with.

So the price is a pretty large consideration. So thinking lowest cost for the functions required.

Any tips would be excellent.

Thanks heaps
    Jason

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    I know only PIC microcontrollers, so I can give you info only about them, there may be others that are cheaper.

So you need 1 input and 3 outputs. A 6 pin PIC could do the job. Partly it depends on how good a programmer you are.

The PIC10F series are 6 pin PICS and range from $0.31 o $0.39 volume pricing.

I think I could cram the entire code into even the smallest one, PIC10F200 but it would be a challenge with 256 instructions and 16 bytes of RAM. The higher end ones have better instruction set and 512 instruction memory and 64 bytes of RAM. I am certain I could code it for that one.

If I were you, I would attempt to code it and see which one is needed.

Bob

3. jason3w

jason3w

Dec 7, 2012
    Hey Bob,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I think it's a good idea to write the software to see which size we need. Thanks for the good advice! :)
    Jason

Ask a Question