Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Beginners circuits with LEDs

navm1

Jun 30, 2014
I've only ever learned about electricity in physics but found it interesting so I'd start with a simple coil gun. Before I started that I thought it would be a good idea to experiment with a simple circuit with a 9v battery, a switch, and a green LED. The LED lights up when i connect it to the battery but when i scrape off the enamel from the magnet wire and connect the circuit it doesn't light up. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated
thanks

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Welcome to our forum.

Maybe you didn't scrape off the enamel completely. Or you damaged the LED because thou shalt never use an LED without current limiting (e.g. by a resistor). We have a tutorial on LEDs in our ressources section. Read this first, please.

navm1

Jun 30, 2014
Thank you. It must have been that, i quickly connected the LED to the solenoid i made earlier for the coil gun and it worked fine. Now I've got the issue of getting the projectile to fire when I connect it to the capacitor. I'll read that now, thanks

navm1

Jun 30, 2014
also, my wires arent staying in place and im having trouble keeping everything connected. are there any posts on very basic circuit making in the resources too? thanks

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
also, my wires arent staying in place and im having trouble keeping everything connected. are there any posts on very basic circuit making in the resources too? thanks
That is what soldering is for.

Bob

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Hi Navm1.

Please remember that the moment you start talking about a coil gun we might have to close the thread.

Coil guns are dangerous and are more physics than electronics. We'll pass responsibility on those to someone else :)

navm1

Jun 30, 2014
Hi Navm1.

Please remember that the moment you start talking about a coil gun we might have to close the thread.

Coil guns are dangerous and are more physics than electronics. We'll pass responsibility on those to someone else :)
of course. I'll start my physics degree in september and maybe leave it til then. Thanks for the replies; I'll research as much basics as I can from the resources