Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Beginner questions on wiring lights to speaker

latlog7

Jun 16, 2017
Hi, I'm looking to wire some LED light strips to the bass speaker in my car and I have a plan of action, but just a few quick questions.

I plan on using a relay on the red wire immediately before the speaker so that when the speaker gets power, it will close the relay switch to the lights (which will be powered on a different circuit, with the cigarette lighter). This should be simple, but Im having trouble figuring out which relay to use.

Can I use a regular automotive DC relay, or does it have to be an AC relay?

To find the voltage and amperage rating i need for the relay, can I just get one that has a way high rating to be safe and lazy, or should I check the back of the speaker, or should I measure the current and voltage with a mulitmeter?

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
I wouldn't use a relay because they are very slow at opening and closing compared to the AC signal you'll have coming in. So the relay may just chatter a lot instead of switching on.
A SCR might be a better option. You can do it with a relay if you want, just not directly.

latlog7

Jun 16, 2017
Thank you, VERY good point about the relay behavior I overlooked. And thank you for the correct terminology, I would have never known that it was called a color organ!