Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Beginner help?

Spencemar1

Jan 31, 2016
I am completely new to electronics, so please be kind.

I want to build a Little Robot Friend kit, inside of a different shell. I will need to use wires because the components will not match up to the shell. So, normally you would solder the led right to the PCB, but how do I do it with wires? do I solder each LED Prong thing to the wire, then solder the wire to the PCB? I saw a bunch of stuff with resistors and LEDS, do I need them? You dont use them in the kit normally. Thank you for helping a complete noob like me.

I included a picture of the parts..

Attachments

• download (1).png
    download (1).png
    431 KB · Views: 71

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
I would strongly recommend reading the instructions that came with the kit thoroughly first to gain a good understanding of all the components and their placement. The item listed as 'foot' seems to be a pcb where you are to make your attachments. If you want to remote the LED's then yes, you can extend the leads with wire. You will want to wrap with electrical tape or use shrink tubing or other methods of insulating the leads.

It would be hard for us to comment about whether you use the 'bunch of stuff' without seeing a schematic, but I doubt any company selling a product would send you a kit with 20 unused resistors!

Spencemar1

Jan 31, 2016
I would strongly recommend reading the instructions that came with the kit thoroughly first to gain a good understanding of all the components and their placement. The item listed as 'foot' seems to be a pcb where you are to make your attachments. If you want to remote the LED's then yes, you can extend the leads with wire. You will want to wrap with electrical tape or use shrink tubing or other methods of insulating the leads.

It would be hard for us to comment about whether you use the 'bunch of stuff' without seeing a schematic, but I doubt any company selling a product would send you a kit with 20 unused resistors!

I have watched the instructions video and those resistors are for the "personality" of the robot. They don't use the resistors for the Leds, but I was just wondering if I needed them if I used wires

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
LED's normally need a resistor to protect them from excess current. Do you have a link to the build instructions?

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
You can still remote the LED's - just make sure you get the correct leads to the right holes in the board.