Connect with us

Beginner Help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by electricbug, Apr 21, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. electricbug

electricbug

Apr 21, 2011
    Hello everyone :)
    I joined the community for a bit of help with something but I think I will stick around because this seems like a great place and plus I love forums. :p
    Anyhow onto the problem ( sorry if this is really obvious but I got stuck )

I have a small cheap hand held game that has a small speaker for simple sound effects. I wanted to add a headphone jack so when there is something plugged into the jack the speaker does not go but when it is unplugged the speaker goes again. I thought this would be pretty easy and quickly got onto soldering it in. I turn it on all things are alrgiht then i play the melody in the game. Come out all right then I plug something into the jack and the sound comes out the headphones and also the speaker. Obviously I wired it in parallel. How would I be able to make something as described above. I plug in head phones no sound out of speaker only headphones, I take out headphones sound on speaker.

I would be very grateful for any responses.

2. rob_croxford

rob_croxford

Aug 3, 2010
    other devices such as ipods or CD player detect wether headphones are plugged in by looking for a change in resistance. For instance when nothing is plugged in the resistance in infinate but when a coil is plugged in (speaker/mic) the resistace drops. however this aproach may be a little to complicated for your application.

How about a switch that would normally be closed (allowing the speackers to opperate) however when a headphone jack is inserted the switch is opend (disableing the speackers). ?

3. electricbug

electricbug

Apr 21, 2011
    Thanks for the fast response. So your saying just to put a side switch on the hand held that i would be able to turn on and off. And I did not know how the CD players and such change from speaker to headphones, so thanks for that.

4. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Some jacks are simple & straight but some have a built-in switch(es) that is meant to disconnect the internal speaker(s) as you plug in a headset.

5. poor mystic

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
    I'd go with Resqueline's advice and buy a self-switching socket. They're easy to get.

6. electricbug

electricbug

Apr 21, 2011
    Thanks a lot everyone. Will start looking for one of those self switching sockets. Cant wait to get it going :p

Ask a Question