Connect with us

Begginer ident help assist

Discussion in 'Datasheets, Manuals and Component Identification' started by electronicspoint_nikita, Jul 30, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. electronicspoint_nikita

electronicspoint_nikita

Jul 30, 2013
    Dear all,

I am having trouble expressing things and would like some help to identify some components that might be basic to you .... Here is a summary of the questions :

Please see the attached slide before viewing the questions ...
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2BYulphDFozTmZDWmVKUXRwc3c/edit?usp=sharing

1.How does one call the tape thing?
    2.Its soft pressed(foamy inner) and metallic foil textile like..what is it?
    3.what kind of glue can I use to stick and peel multiple times with no damage and reliably?
    4.What might the purpose be to have the chip in such an enclosure??
    5.What is that blob made out of what is the purpose for obscuring things like this??
    6.This is where the tape from slide one goes to....how do you call this gripper??Slot??
    7.Why would you stick copper foil layer and even then put masking “black tape” to cover part of it??
    8.This is disassembled part of a hand-held scanner...”optical bar that plugs inside the white plastic case with the suspected light diode to the side
    Is this a diode??4 pins on that side... 2 pins on this side This is just a plastic case it seems
    ??

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    welcome to the forums :)

1) ribbon cable
    2) a conductive pad connecting 2 grounded areas together without need for a soldered wire
    3) peeling it once is likely to damage the surface
    4) usually an RF ( Radio Frequency ) Shield
    5) epoxy, there will likely be a onboard mounted chip ... chip without the usual pins
    6) just one form of ribbon cable connector
    7) copper foil is used for RF shielding and /or grounding tape on to to stip it shorting out other components
    8) too difficult to tell from your photo

cheers
    Dave

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    1) may also be called a flex connector or even a flexible PCB

4. electronicspoint_nikita

electronicspoint_nikita

Jul 30, 2013
    1)PCB flex seems to give better results when describing the flexible bit ... "ribbon cable" is a bit broader/richer I suppose.(Checked by image search on Google)

I often want to modify certain hardware and when you get across a flex PCB(ribbon) I often want to simply extend and redirect relational positioning of the 2 components it links.
    Say I have a 10cm worth of ribbon....Can I simply extend that by re-fitting a 1metre long piece and work at my ease until ready to put back the 10cm piece etc? I would expect some varieation in signal ofcourse but how bad can it be? Would such a change degrade signals too much ...what would the best way be to separate/extend such links length?

2) I haven't been able to find similar "bits" to the one I had on the photo on Google Images
    using "Conductive pad pcb" or even "grounding pad pcb"...I suspect a bit more precision or tweak on the words would get more definitive match....Any ideas?

4) I would like to experiment with a procedure that is simple to remove an epoxy like this which obscures perhaps an "onboard" chip. Is there a pain-less way to prepare for doing this?Can I simply melt the epoxy by heating up somehow??

Thank you for the hints so far

5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    you WONT!! the epoxy is in contact with the chip and its tiny interconnect wires.
    You WILL destroy the chip

cheers
    Dave

6. electronicspoint_nikita

electronicspoint_nikita

Jul 30, 2013
    I thought you might say that :).

Thanks for the info..I already feel I have learnt a lot. here

7. electronicspoint_nikita

electronicspoint_nikita

Jul 30, 2013
    Turns out it was a rash comment...
    Decapping ICs/removing the epoxy has been achieved here and with full workable instructions :

that doesn't mean I know what to do with it once exposed...and yet connections and logistics are visibly clear here on the results that this fellow has achieved.

8. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    OK you were talking about a standard chip
    but seeing that its may also be possible with a leadless chip die mounted directly to the PCB
    we were on a different page in your description of the chip

I wouldnt expect the chip to still work after veing subjected to such a long hi temp exposure

Dave

9. electronicspoint_nikita

electronicspoint_nikita

Jul 30, 2013
    Dave you are absolutely right.
    My post was misleading and I did only ask about a leadless chip.
    Then I found the video and realised the epoxy on a standard chips must be of a similar compound and hence faces the same problem if someone wants to go deal with that business.

Many risks here one of them being the temperature that you speak of and yet the guy on the video later on shows live performance of the very same "decappitated chips" blasted under diy electromicroscope....for live inspection of workings.
    He did get the chip "burned" after about a few minutes but some of that by his own admission could have been due to the electron beam and the parameters used on it etc.

So as far as I am concerned with a bit of the chemical solution and tiny track to get the process started it should be possible to achieve ...on a simple home bench setup as well if that is a concern.

Interesting stuff and I have tons of "bricked" or unused Ics and boards to investigate so should be interesting and open new horizons /ideas perhaps...there was a post that got me interested with the idea of making a completely clear/transparent package to replace the obscuring epoxy :). Now that would be an idea worth getting excited about in my books...

Here is the operational decapitated chip also blasted with an electron beam video :

Ask a Question