Connect with us

Beards and Hurricanes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Members Lounge' started by CDRIVE, Oct 29, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    Wow, that just about confirms what I said about home brew vs off the shelf.

It was dark brown in the beginning. What the hell happened?? :confused: :rolleyes:

Chris

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Experience.

3. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    I guess it's a matter of mindset. In the summer months we can loose power anytime from daily afternoon thunderstorms that can and do produce hurricane force wind gusts. I'm never without a stock of D, C, AA and AAA batteries.

Chris

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Certainly a matter of mindset and simply how proactive one is... We get way to compliant, it amazes me how 24 hours after events like this (where there was a week of advanced notice) people are jumping up and down over basics like food and water... I could easily coast a week or more with the nonperishables in my house, give me a weeks notice and I could stockpile for weeks... I understand that if your residence is gone that stockpile is lost, but in most cases that isn't the case, it's simply the lake of preparing... As a father with children one of my first investments was a larger generator for the house, by reverse feeding from the generator to the disconnected panel, I can bring about 75% of my house back online within 15-30 minutes... My brother is the same way now that he is a family man, he went and purchased a small generator for the single purpose of running a small heater and lights in case of emergency when his daughter was born last year... I guess it's a result of growing up in a farm house surrounded by corn fields, we lost power all the time, and with no neighbors we were on our own... My mom still looses power on a regular basis as the buried wires are past the end of life but ComEd will not replace them because it's a long run for just one house... The only positive thing is now after all these years she is on a 'priority' list and a first name basis with the crew for hear area, ComEd delivers a full house generator now every time the power goes out since they are at fault/liable for not replacing the lines that they know are defunct... Last year alone they had to dig up and splice the line 4 times...

Anyway my hope is that with every event like this more and more people take the warnings more serious and plan (in advance) for a minimum of 72 hours off the grid... It doesn't take much, several gallons of water and a case of canned Tuna will allow you to coast for a long time, and it fits in the back of the closet or under a bed, good for many years...

5. steamngn

steamngn

Aug 27, 2012
    Hey CDRIVE,
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
    :D
    I always knew I was a champ!
    Digging out from hurricane Sandy here, don't suppose you would mind keeping that [email protected] down your way?
    Andy

6. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    Let's see.. About 3 weeks ago the snow bird car carriers began to appear, as they always do when the temperatures up north begin to drop. In that 3 week period our population instantly exploded. These fair weather residents always bear gifts when they return. They include colds, flu and every other contagious nasty you can imagine.

This year's snow bird return was particularly humorous for us. I overheard a bunch of them at my watering hole bitching about the weather. Sandy's outer bands were giving us a light (in my opinion) thrashing as she went by us off shore. Their quotes were something like this.. "What the hell is this crap! I don't come down here for this sort of sh!t! I might as well have stayed home!". To quote John McClane: "Welcome to the party, Jack!"

They also gift us with power outages because of their inexplicable penchant for driving into power poles.

So, just think of Sandy as Florida giving a little back. :p

Chris

7. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Well to be fair us 'Northerners' have to deal with those same people for the other six months when they are up here ;) And thank God as most of them can't navigate a road when it's raining, forget about it when it's snowing...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  8. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    I'll grant you that but that's where they're from in the first place. :p

Chris

9. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    From the news coverage that I've seen, read and heard it's obvious to me that New York and New Jersey coastal residents have become far to complacent. There seemed to be no concept, or rather no belief that their infrastructure could ever fail. All the common things that we keep on hand or prep for with an impending hurricane seems to have been ignored. They didn't top off their vehicles. They didn't fill as many gas cans as they could. They didn't store any water. They didn't stock up on can goods. No provisions for emergency lighting. No camper stoves. I can go on here forever! Please understand that I'm not referring to people that had their homes washed away. I'm talking about a much wider area miles inland that have lost power, water and other services.

The most frustrating part of this is the ones that were prepared. They will have very tough decisions to make. Protect your family or your neighbors. When they see that you have fuel, running an emergency generator, cooking hot dogs on the Barbie, hot coffee, you will be put in an untenable position. Joe next door will undoubtedly stroll over to you with an extension cord and plates in his hands.

Lord, I know how callus this all sounds but when the infrastructure collapses it's dog eat dog world out there. You must protect and provide for your own.

I was going to end it there but I just heard two news items out of New York that's mind boggling. Mayor Dumbberg of NYC says he wants to go forward with a planned marathon event that will be utilizing large generators!! WTF!!

The other news item, that's even more mind blowing, was about linemen that traveled all the way up from Alabama to help in restoring power. According to the news the Electrical Workers Union told them to go home! :eek:

Chris

10. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    In their defence, they don't live in a hurricane-prone area.

I have, and I understand the risks and precautions to take. So do you. So perhaps do many of them (But you won't be hearing much from those who have taken plenty of precautions and are camping out at home waiting for regular programming to resume).

The people you're hearing about are those that perhaps were not aware, or did not have the resources to prepare.

And petty obviously, infrastructure in a non-hurricane prone area is not going to be built to withstand the same wind loads (as a single example).

Given the areas that were evacuated, I'm pretty sure that the result did not come as a huge surprise to those organising stuff prior to the storm.

I still wonder at building houses on sand bars sticking out into the ocean though...

11. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    Yeh, it would seem a no brainer. Not in their defense they were warned a full week or more that this would be a massive storm. The weather stations said that arctic air was moving down from Canada and when Francis met it they predicted a "Frankenstorm"! When it came ashore in New Jersey, New York we still felt her and could still see her all the way down here in South Florida. :eek:

News update: Someone whispered in mayor Dumbberg's ear. He's reconsidered and canceled the marathon.

Just a note on forum decorum. If the OP was still working on the topic of this thread I would not be hijacking it.

Chris

12. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Kind of debatable, in the grand scheme of today's weather...

Look at this list and more important focus on 2000 till now...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_York_hurricanes

The area has become pretty much as prone as many other traditional hurricane/tropical storm areas now... It's far from a fluke that a storm like this has the potential to hit that area on a regular basis now...

I believe a lot of this is simply the fact that storms like Irene (that was hyped as potentially being big) never developed into a beast and thus people start to ignore and down play the warnings... Contrary to the people that live in the more traditional hurricane areas that know too well not to underestimate warnings as they have been bitten plenty of times before...

13. steamngn

steamngn

Aug 27, 2012
    Hate to say it, but I'm with CDRIVE on this one... Actually, it would be good if your could just push a few of them into the gulf for us... :D
    Now THAT would be the Jersey drivers.. :eek:
    Anyway, good to know that some of us still have a sense of humor... I will let you know how this fuel shutoff works, hopefully Sunday morning...

14. JMW

JMW

Jan 30, 2012
    I have a similar "problem". I just tell people the sun bleached it. Worked fine until girlfriend said "yea he's right it took 60 years".

15. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    All's I can say, is thank heaven Sandy happened with Obama in office.
    According to the news, there are no problems in NY or NJ.
    If George Bush was in office, I'd be seeing continuous coverage of a catastrophe.
    I shaved off my beard. Everyone told me I looked 20 years younger,...
    except of course, the girlfriend.

16. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    When the media anoints you Messiah you have only to wave your hands over your subjects and all is well. We are living in an alternate reality.

Chris

17. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Don't you consider Fox News to be a reliable source for unbiased content?

Or are they a bit too liberal ;)

18. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Like most of the country, I don't ever see Fox News, unless I use the computer to look up something.
    I'm talking about the news most of the country gets.
    NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS
    From what I've heard, Fox News is the ONLY place that offers any type of questioning,
    from what ABC, CBS, NBC, & PBS says.
    I don't know if Fox News is the hate mongering counter-culture station everybody in
    the rest of the news media says it is or not. But it apparently is the only station that
    is non-compliant with what the rest of the news people want us to hear.
    I don't know, but I'm guessing the vast majority of the U.S. never sees Fox News either.

19. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    I don't watch any TV news, and I tend to stay away from big network news channels as well... With the Internet at our hands you can get a much clearer picture of the 'real' news and wade through the politics if you desire...

As for FOX news well, they seem to mix the most bias into everything they report across the board, it doesn't make them bad you just have to wade through the tinted glasses they report behind, just like the other news agencies... FOX, generally has the darkest tint...

On a side note as much as us 'Americans' don't like it foreign news generally provides the least biased reporting, or at least generally doesn't bias it to make 'Americans' feel good, of course there is still a tinted glass and it's generally that America is a bully, but again wade through it get the bigger picture...

20. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    Question which noone has yet been able to answer to my satisfaction: why do they keep building flimsy wooden houses?

Ask a Question