Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Battery used up

vick5821

Jan 22, 2012
Hey guys, I am quite curious that how a battery will be used up ? A 9V battery how and why the potential difference will decreases as we use it oftenly ?

Thank you :)

vick5821

Jan 22, 2012
I mean why it will become like this ? what things discharge ?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I mean why it will become like this ? what things discharge ?

when referring to your smaller batteries like your AAA,AA D cells 9V PP3 types of batteries. A chemical reaction starts to occur when a load is put across the positive and negative terminals of a battery. This generates the flow of current. It is a common misconception that a battery stores a charge. The battery is deemed "flat" when the chemical reaction can no longer occur and generate a current flow

Dave

vick5821

Jan 22, 2012
when referring to your smaller batteries like your AAA,AA D cells 9V PP3 types of batteries. A chemical reaction starts to occur when a load is put across the positive and negative terminals of a battery. This generates the flow of current. It is a common misconception that a battery stores a charge. The battery is deemed "flat" when the chemical reaction can no longer occur and generate a current flow

Dave

what chemical reaction ?

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
A charged lead/acid battery will have one plate lead and the other plate lead oxide. They are immersed in sulphuric acid. When the battery is discharged, both plates are lead sulphate and the acid is very weak.

A zinc/carbon battery has a case of zinc, when the battery is exhausted, the case will be very thin and the battery often leaks.

There are many different battery chemistries, I have never found a good one yet. !!

Mongrel Shark

Jun 6, 2012
I try not to think of batterys as storage cells. Although some of the bigger deep cycle types re-charge pretty well for a while. Eventually the storage It's a more accurate description.