Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Battery Switch Malfunction

Puzzled

Jun 24, 2020
Hi,
I've got a problem with the switch on a power pack, i think it's an electronic switch (i'm no electrician - hence asking for advice) and the switch half works - it just doesn't stay on. So if you push it down the LED backlight lights up but as soon as you release it switches off, so it doesn't positively engage. It worked fine yesterday but not today.

I've opened the pack up, there's loads of blobs of which glue or something keeping everything located, the switch itself was covered up with this, so feeling a little underqualified i checked the connection further on which was fine, before closing it up again. I also checked the fuse (on the exterior of the housing) and that's fine, i'm no electrician but i'm putting the fault down to the switch alone, i've tried searching online for answers but the terms 'battery' and 'switch' bring avalanches of results about a Nintendo console!

Could anyone suggest how i might remedy this? I'm guessing it might need replacing but without knowing the correct terminology and where to look it seems like a needle in a haystack job.

I've tried to upload a couple of photos but have failed (i'm getting a message saying upload failed but no explanation as to why), so i'll do my best to describe instead; it's a common button type associated with consumer electronics; round, roughly the size of a penny and the centre (about the size of a five penny piece with a backlit power symbol) pushes straight down by about 2-3mm, normally it positively engages and stays down and you push it a second time to release, but currently it's just returning straight back up.
Thanks in advance.

PETERDECO

Dec 19, 2019
Sounds like the switch is mechanically broken. There is usually an arm on a spring the latches itself to a plastic post to latch in on and another push to release it. A broken post or spring can be at fault.

Puzzled

Jun 24, 2020
Sounds like the switch is mechanically broken. There is usually an arm on a spring the latches itself to a plastic post to latch in on and another push to release it. A broken post or spring can be at fault.

Thanks for your reply, i've found what i think is a replacement - hopefully it fits and does the trick.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Some power packs the switch is momentary hence, if the pack will not stay switched on, there is a problem with the battery.
Photo uploads usually fail because the photo is too large.
Resize and try again.
There are undoubtedly instructions somewhere in the how to post area.