Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Battery Pack Replacement

Consp

Jul 6, 2013
Hi, new to the forum.

I am replacing the battery pack on an electric shaver. The original pack is a Ni-CD and can be seen at this link.

http://www.amazon.com/Shaver-Battery-Norelco-models-others/dp/B000FP63M4

Is there any reason that I have to purchase this instead of just using off the shelf AA rechargeable NI-CD?

Second question, is there any issue with using off the shelf rechargeable AA Ni-MH as in the link below?

http://www.hsn.com/products/rayovac-platinum-8-aa-nimh-rechargeable-batteries/6506936

Thanks,

Consp

Last edited:

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
Those have welded and solderable tabs. If your shaver has slodered type of battery connections, yes this is what you need. If your shaver has a drop-in battery holder, then buy the off the shelf AA's.

Ken

Consp

Jul 6, 2013
I see. So an off the shelf AA cannot be soldered? Learning as I go...

Thanks,

Consp

Last edited:

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
Not easily. That's why the tabs are spot welded to the battery caps. For that price, I would see no point in trying to assemble you own pack.

Ken

eKretz

Apr 8, 2013
They can be soldered but it isn't a job for beginners. If you get the battery too hot you can kill it. Certain battery chemistries can vent flammable gas or explode if they get too hot. To solder to a battery you need to abrade (use sandpaper or similar) the soldering point right before soldering and wipe it clean with alcohol or acetone, then put as little heat into it as possible while soldering. I find it best to tin the battery ends and tabs you want to connect first so they go together quickly with lesser heat. After tinning let them cool back to room temp before soldering to be safe.

The difficulty of soldering is why most manufacturers use spot welding nowadays.

Consp

Jul 6, 2013
I understand. Thanks for the follow up and detailed explanation. I ordered the battery pack that is made for the unit and a soldering tool off Amazon. Going to test solder some old electronics to get the feel for it.

NuLED

Jan 7, 2012
search YouTube for videos of how to solder. watch them first.

wear eye protection and make sure no kids or pets are around. the molten solder can SPLASH into eyes, etc. and even your lap.

play safe.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
molten solder

Molten solder is the least of your worries.

NiCd are less likely t explode than LiPo, but it's not impossible.

The other issue is that batteries can be hard to solder to and if you do it can be very hard to make the joint as thin as a welded one. This latter fact can lead to the pack being harder to fit back inside the device.