Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Battery Help?

gormly

Jun 23, 2011
I have a Lithium Ion battery that I want to use for a special project, nothing big.
I was going to use AA's but I have a box of these:

CustomThumb.asp

I was wondering, I am a basic tinkerer but not much experience with power.
How would I hook this up to what I am powering as far as positive negatve? It has the same requirements and all the power matches so it's a perfect battery but just not sure how to hook it up, I don't want to start a fire or melt anything :rolleyes:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The three terminals are usually +ve, -ve, and a thermistor connected to one of the supply rails.

Since you're not building a charger, you can ignore the thermistor.

For connections, you want some form of spring connection so you can take the battery out and charge it.

Your circuit also needs to automatically shut off when the battery voltage drops beyond a point at which further discharge will kill it.

gormly

Jun 23, 2011
The three terminals are usually +ve, -ve, and a thermistor connected to one of the supply rails.

Since you're not building a charger, you can ignore the thermistor.

For connections, you want some form of spring connection so you can take the battery out and charge it.

Your circuit also needs to automatically shut off when the battery voltage drops beyond a point at which further discharge will kill it.

Thank you. :D

Can I ask... if I attach a Multimeter to the terminals, what should I see on each to identify which is which?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
On a voltage range, you will see 2 terminals which appear to have the same voltage as each other with respect to the third. These 2 are the connections to the thermistor.

If you connect some sort of load to the battery (say an appropriately rated globe) then it will work when connected to one of these 2 terminals (and the third) but not the other. the ones which power the lamp are the battery connections.

You can do something similar with a 1k resistor as the load. When connected directly to the battery you will see the full battery voltage. When connected to the thermistor junction instead, you will see a lower voltage.

You may also be able to tell by looking at the equipment this normally connects to. It may only have 2 contacts for the battery.

MattyMatt

Mar 24, 2011
Steve brings up an interesting question.... at least to me...

How will you be re-charging these? assuming you will need to do so?

gormly

Jun 23, 2011
On a voltage range, you will see 2 terminals which appear to have the same voltage as each other with respect to the third. These 2 are the connections to the thermistor.

If you connect some sort of load to the battery (say an appropriately rated globe) then it will work when connected to one of these 2 terminals (and the third) but not the other. the ones which power the lamp are the battery connections.

You can do something similar with a 1k resistor as the load. When connected directly to the battery you will see the full battery voltage. When connected to the thermistor junction instead, you will see a lower voltage.

You may also be able to tell by looking at the equipment this normally connects to. It may only have 2 contacts for the battery.

Thank you, very helpful. :D

As far as recharging, I have a special charger for just this battery.