Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Battery Discharge

MadMechanic

Aug 28, 2012
If I wanted to monitor a marine battery with an analog voltmeter I have laying around, could I assume that once the battery drops equal to, or below 12V... that would mean it is discharged and ready for recharge? All equipment is 12V same as car batteries that are usually above 13V. I just want to avoid buying a special gauge. I was pretty sure that that at 12V or below means battery discharged. Anyone back me up:confused:

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
If it a 12 Volt lead acid battery fully charged will be anywhere from 12-16 Volts, and discharged will be somewhere around 8-10 Volts (though if it is under load the voltage can drop below that which is not usually good) each battery is different so theres no easy way to tell its state of charge at any given point based on voltage.

You can use a voltmeter and I would say once it get to 11 Volts dial back on the draw on the battery, and once you hit 10 kill it and recharge, to be safe

MadMechanic

Aug 28, 2012
Thanks for the elaboration. I plan on using the battery for a boat trolling motor. This way I can attach a digital 3 or 4 digit voltmeter and gauge remaining capacity, instead of buying a specific battery meter. :D

If it a 12 Volt lead acid battery fully charged will be anywhere from 12-16 Volts, and discharged will be somewhere around 8-10 Volts (though if it is under load the voltage can drop below that which is not usually good) each battery is different so theres no easy way to tell its state of charge at any given point based on voltage.

You can use a voltmeter and I would say once it get to 11 Volts dial back on the draw on the battery, and once you hit 10 kill it and recharge, to be safe