Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Battery configuration

Glenn

Apr 9, 2014
I have a system that uses 4 Lion bats. Three of the batteries are used constantly (12.6v) the 4th bat does nothing, most of the time. Occasionally I need to add the voltage from the 4th battery to boost the output to (16.8v).

The way I plan to accomplish this is to have all of the bats connected all of the time, but only using the 4th bat when I press a moment switch between the 4th bat’s + & the 3rd bat’s – obtaining the 16.8v I briefly need-a power surge.

When I tried it nothing happened. I did not get the 16.8v. Does anyone out there know why I did not get 16.8v and, in baby terms, how to get the 16.8v. My hope is to set this up as simply as possible. I would very much appreciate help. Thanks a bunch IA.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I think you would be best off having all the batteries always connected and using a buck regulator to produce 12.6V. You would momentarily change the voltage on the regulator to give you the full battery voltage.

Doing things the way you suggest will mean the batteries have uneven charges on them. This may be an issue when you charge them.