Connect with us

Battery choice

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by Ken H, Sep 8, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Ken H

Ken H

Dec 22, 2011
    I have been building a consumer product for many years. It uses 3 AAA Ni-MH rechargeable cells. In a new version of the same product, I have the opportunity to switch to a 3.6 volt Li-ion cell. What are the pros and cons to making the change to li-ion?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Does your circuit operate down to 2.8V? If so, you can run it from a single cell.

You'd be best advised to ensure that the circuit won't switch on at less than 2.8V as discharge beyond that is getting into the area where the battery can be damaged.

If you connect to USB, there are many 1 chip solutions for charging a single cell.

Beware that air mailing the item with a battery installed may now be illegal.

3. Ken H

Ken H

Dec 22, 2011
    My circuit can insure no operation if below 2.8v. My primary question involves Ni-MH vs. Li-ion. That's the big decision I must make.

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    very difficult, a lot of the Trimble gear we get from the USA for resale has small to large Li-PO's or LI-Ion batteries in them
    the airlines have pages of paperwork to all the stuff to air travel

Ask a Question