Maker Pro
Maker Pro

battery box wiring help

bradwesley

Jun 24, 2020
Hey all --

I'm trying to build a battery box knowing just enough to be dangerous. Hopefully the attached picture/diagram gets my plan across.

battery-box-diagram.jpg
There are probably things I'm not even aware I'm not considering, but my main question is: when charging the battery via the Anderson connector, will the current flow only to the battery (path of least resistance?) or am I potentially sending current through the 16 gauge wire and lighting up the USB adapter/fuse as well?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
If there is a load on the USB adapter, current will flow there, too.
The battery, being in parallel with the adapter, will limit the voltage to a voltage level < 16 V (assuming a lead acid battery type). If the USB adapter is well designed, it should be able to withstand this voltage as it would "see" this kind of voltage during regular operation anytime the battery is being charged.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
What is between the solar panels, the battery charger and the battery..?
or are they all bunched together......?
No detail on the solar input might be a problem area.

bradwesley

Jun 24, 2020
If there is a load on the USB adapter, current will flow there, too.
The battery, being in parallel with the adapter, will limit the voltage to a voltage level < 16 V (assuming a lead acid battery type). If the USB adapter is well designed, it should be able to withstand this voltage as it would "see" this kind of voltage during regular operation anytime the battery is being charged.

Thanks much.

The reason I’m re-wiring this (and asking for help this time) :) is because the fuse holder melted given similar wiring the last time I attempted charging via the battery charger. I have no idea why that would happen vs. a fuse blowing.

My setup was a little different, but it sounds like you’re telling me so long as I don’t introduce a load during charging no current will be traveling in that direction.

And, yes, it’s a SLA 12v battery.

bradwesley

Jun 24, 2020
What is between the solar panels, the battery charger and the battery..?
or are they all bunched together......?
No detail on the solar input might be a problem area.

I only plan on attaching either the solar panel or the charger to the Anderson connector at any given time. Sorry, I wasn’t sure how to diagram that.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
so long as I don’t introduce a load during charging no current will be traveling in that direction.
Right, but even with a load that should be o.k., It just reduces the current available for charging.