Connect with us

Battery Backup

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by sid2286, Jan 28, 2013.

1. sid2286

sid2286

Aug 24, 2011
    Hi,

I have a circuit which has a power supply input of 24Vdc from an SMPS(SMPS input is 230Vac).
    Now i have to provide a battery backup wherein when the SMPS is switched off my circuit is still powered for couple of hours.

I cannot use inverter or or UPS as my current consumption is 400mA. and also has a space restriction.

I want to use leaded battery but dont know how to go about with it.

Please suggested a solution or a hint.

regards,
    Sid

2. Kiwi

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
    You could use a couple of small 12volt SLA batteries in series, but the 24volts from the SMPS won't be enough to keep them charged. Need roughly 27volts(13.5v per battery).

What is the minimum voltage the backup batteries have to supply to keep your circuit operating?

3. sid2286

sid2286

Aug 24, 2011
    Minimum voltage requirement for the circuit is 18v.

4. dpenelob

dpenelob

Mar 27, 2013
    Hi sid2286,

Linear Technology offers imho some nice controllers especially for this prupose.
    You just need to connect some sort of power transistor, the main power supply, the cells and (as far as i remember) a pin to your circuit to signal it that it now runs on battery.

Best regards,
    dpenelob

Ask a Question