Connect with us

Batteries in Series

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by Muhasaresa, Mar 18, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Muhasaresa

Muhasaresa

Jan 2, 2012
    Dear All :D,

This might be a simple question, but when I thought about the problem, I was confused.
    Why does the voltage add when i connect two batteries in series. I thought that on terminal would connect directly to the other one on the second battery. I attached a picture to show the problem.

Since there is an insulator between the two inner terminals, why do they contribute to the Voltage.

Thanks for the help :D

<Muhasaresa

Attached Files:

• bat.png
      bat.png
      File size:
      11.1 KB
      Views:
  2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    There is no insulator between the two terminals, you show a wire there. The voltages add because that is what they do. If the voltage between A and B is V1 and the voltage between B and C is V2 the voltage between A and C is V1 + V2. The voltage across a wire (ideally) is 0.

Bob

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Imagine a battery as a special sort of pump that pumps electricity (actually electrons).

It can pump at a certain pressure (voltage) and a certain flow rate (current).

If you connect two of these pumps so that the outlet of one feeds the inlet of the next (just like you've done with those 2 batteries) then the pressure (voltage) you'll get out of them is twice what one on its own could achieve.

There is another arrangement that would yield the same pressure, but twice the maximum flow rate. This also works for batteries. Can you think what it might be?

Ask a Question