Connect with us

Batteries in parallel

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by pidja105, Apr 12, 2016.

1. pidja105

pidja105

Oct 16, 2015
    Hello,
    If I have two batteries 1.5V and first has maximum current(NOT CAPACITY) of 1 Amp and other has maximum current of 2 Amps, If I connect them to parallel will I get maximum current of 3Amps?

2. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Perhaps. I'm inclined to believe so but only to a certain extent. You may end up causing damage to the 1Amp capable cell.
    When in parallel, the voltage across the batteries will be the same. When you pull a lot of current from a battery, it's *internal resistance* will determine how far the voltage drops while under load. It's this voltage drop characteristic that may end up causing a higher than desired current draw in the less capable battery.
    If I didn't care about the batteries, I would do it... or if I was keeping current draw less than 2A .
    Otherwise, find a datasheet on the discharge characteristics for the cell and see if you can match them up. If this can't be done, then use the same type of cells throughout a pack.

*Please note, the 1Amp and 2Amp capable batteries are not what they 'put out' , but simply what they are capable of handling when under load.

3. Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
    Gryd3:

You forgot to mention if the cells are they same type.
    One may be Leclanche and the other may be Lithium.

Arouse1973 and Gryd3 like this.
  4. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    I forgot to state that in my example and forgot to ask. Good catch.
    Parallel of different chemistries would be a bad idea without understanding their charge/discharge characteristics... and even then, I would most certainly not do it to increase current capacity, but may take advantage of it to increase total mAh of a make-shift battery pack if I were severely limited in supplies.

I would certainly never re-charge this pack once it ran low though!

5. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    What are the batteries?

Ask a Question