Connect with us

Bathroom scales not calibrated?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by SimonSellick, Apr 21, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. SimonSellick

SimonSellick

Aug 6, 2010
    Hi,

This is a 'Pure' SG01 glass bathroom scale made for B&Q and comprises a square piece of glass with four feet and the readout bonded to it and interconnected with plastic tubes.

These scales stopped working reliably - sometimes they were OK, sometimes dead, sometimes showed a walking 0 then went dead. A new battery (2 x CR2032) didn't help. On inspection, I found that each of the four feet houses a strain gauge and each of the front two also has a switch which has to be made to turn the scales on. A spring-steel plate that forms one of the contacts in one foot had come adrift, and I managed to fix that. The scales now come on reliably and give a consistent reading, but it seems to be about 2-3Kg out (well, I hope so anyway, as it's reading over). I was careful not to disturb anything that looked as though it might have been either calibrated or glued in place.

I wonder whether anyone knows whether it is possible to recalibrate these scales? There is no sign of anything twiddlable anywhere, but there is a 2-pin jumper (with no shorting link) in the battery compartment,

Any advice appreciated.

Simon.

Ask a Question