Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Basic's

PJMacca

Oct 10, 2013
Hi All,
Im newbie here and newbie to electronics, I've decided on a project very small and hopefully simple to learn from as I'm one for learn by practical application, just way my brain's wired.

What would I look into, to achieve the Senario below:

I have a constant 9vdc that can go up to 48vdc at times, with 20ma

I wish to use something to place within the circuit to illuminate a LED if it loses connection more than 5 times in 24hrs. (then be able to reset it via a button) you might of guessed its a phone socket, and just a project to start learning more, main question is, is it possible and whats the best way to approach it ? as I expect more than one way.

thanks for any help in advance, back to my dummies guide, but doubt that will cover such a specific.

Last edited by a moderator:

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I always amazes me what people think is a small and simple project.

A small and simple beginner project is to light and LED from a battery. Next step to make it flash.

Your project would be best done with a microcontroller, which is not a small and simple project for a beginner. It requires building the circuit, which is at the high end of beginner, and programming it which is a whole different thing if you have no programming experience.

Or, you could go with a ready built microcontroller platform like Arduino.

Bob

PJMacca

Oct 10, 2013
thank you Bob, apologies being a noobie, wasnt aware of how big a challenge to a newbie it would be, its just this also has a practical application for me, so helps me focus, and retain what I learn. microcontroller though guides me in the right direction very grateful.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
As Bob says, just learning to light a LED is a good first step.

If you think that's too simple, then perhaps have a glance at this tutorial we have written on pretty much that topic. (Of course, you would be starting from the simple end and you can do that without much understanding -- by following recipes as it were).

When you learn to light a LED you learn a few fundamentals:

• They're directional
  • They need a resistor
The next step is to get some very superficial answers to why these are true. Then you can use that knowledge when you do something else.