Maker Pro
Maker Pro

(Basic Question) Two Circuits on the Same Power Supply

Jesuit

Nov 28, 2017
Probably an easy question but I'm still a beginner when it comes to electronics. Basically, I've got a costume with a helmet kitted out with electronics that runs off separate batteries and for the purposes of keeping weight and batteries to a minimum, I want to combine some of them. I have a rechargeable lithium 12V battery (1800 mAh) that covers one 12V squirrel fan. Could I utilise the same battery to power a second 12V fan? And if so, what are the disadvantages? (I expect the fan will run slower and take less time to deplete, but how much less time are we talking about; half?)

Also, I have a couple of mics wired up to a board which is powered by 3xAAs, so could I also use the same 12V battery to power this circuit as well if I wired it up? Or would I need to keep that on a separate circuit since it's a different voltage?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Two identical fans will consume the battery at twice the rate of one fan. Both will run at identical speeds (when wired in parallel).

The microphones can be powered by a simple regulator circuit to convert the 12V to 5V (5V being more convenient and harmless to the circuit) using a device like the LM7805.