Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Basic Electronics on CD/DVD-Rom Reccomendations

weasel7711

Jun 8, 2011
I am looking to learn basic (or more than basic) electronics through a self taught system. I have a CompSci degree and I know some electronics theory from my experience with Physics.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an at home, self-paced learning. Preferably a CD/DVD-ROM with interactive activities.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
In the US you can find places that will sell you correspondence courses for a kilobuck or two. Some of these aren't bad. I can't help with the interactive CD stuff, although I assume someone somewhere sells such a thing (if so, you should be able to find it with a search).

Another forum, All About Circuits, has a good on-line ebook on the basics. One thing I like there is the experimental section -- it will teach some good lessons. Don't ignore the experimental stuff; otherwise, you'll have all this nice theory tucked away, but not be able to construct the simplest circuit.

Once you get through that stuff, consider getting a copy of the book The Art of Electronics. While it's getting a bit dated with respect to current hardware, the principles don't change and it is a good book to self-teach from.