Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Basic Electronics Help?

Amphibianman94

May 30, 2011
Hello! I'm a high schooler just getting into electronics and I was wondering if there are some necessities I should have before starting my own projects? I bought a self-teaching book off of Amazon, and that's been helping me out tremendously in terms of the knowledge behind circuitry and such.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
What have you learnt?

What have you built?

What are you learning?

What do you want to build?

You really can't do with anything less than a multimeter and a soldering iron. You'll also need a few simple tools like wire cutters, needle nose pliers, screwdrivers, etc.

Such very basic equipment may be all you need for a while.

You don't even need a soldering iron if all you're going to use is a solder-less breadboard -- but you still may want one if only to connect wires to things that can't fit into a breadboard.

Amphibianman94

May 30, 2011
I haven't build anything so far. My education on this is coming from All New Electronics Self-Teaching Guide by Kybett and Boysen. Bought it around 2 weeks ago and I've only had the time to soak in the first two chapters pretty well. (Chapter 1: DC Basics, Chapter 2: Intro to Diodes). I'd imagine it'll be a bit of time before I start doing hands on stuff. Thanks for taking the time to answer such a newbie question.

Windadct

May 25, 2011
New - what to learn?

Hello Amp.....:

Actually I notice that good ole Radio Shack is carrying electronic kits again - including kits from Vellemen pretty inexpensive.

Some are quite basic - and I would suggest to just build a few ( ah the smell of solder flux )

Be curious - but do not get hung up on understanding everything. The questions are more important then the answers.

They will have all of the tools you need as well - not the greatest quality - but good enough to learn with. So, basic small tools, Digital Multimeter ( DMM) - solder iron or breadboard ( breadboards do seem a little expensive, but a good investment.

B/R
Paul

emilyralph

Jun 1, 2011
Well Just wanted to wish all the very best for your future ahead in electronics!!