Connect with us

basic electret microphone element

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by jbelectric777, Dec 5, 2013.

1. jbelectric777

jbelectric777

Nov 29, 2012
    Hi all ! and Happy Holidays! I have'nt been on in some time but as usual I have a heavy theory question for you guys on the basic operation of an electret mic element. My question is: Is the membrane in the element the capacitive current needed to bias a small JFET or transistor? or does an external capacitor provide the V against the membrane where the sound pressure provides the analog signal to the driving pre amp whatever it may be, a JFET or small transistor? Thanks in advance, Jim

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
  3. jbelectric777

jbelectric777

Nov 29, 2012
    Thanks Steve, I saw the block diagram on Wilkipedia. Looks like the FET is internal from the manufacturer with a larger capacitor external as well. Output from that diagram tells me Vcc output connects to the first stage pre amp. I wonder if a NE555 would work with pin 3 (output) connected to a larger FET

Ask a Question