Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Basic circuit help

StockySkydiver

Apr 6, 2016
Hi all, new to the forum. Also new to hobby electronics, I'm a mechanical engineer by trade.

Apologies if this post is too long - please bear with it if you would.

I'm working on a DIY project to restore/revamp a living room sideboard (2 drawers/2 cupboard doors). Once the woodwork and painting is finished, I want to add a light inside the cupboard that switches on when one of the doors are opened, and switch off when the door is closed again. I feel as though this is a very basic circuit for the likes of people on here. I have found the switch needed and plan to run a basic lamp (not yet identified) from either a mains or battery supply (yet to decide). The part I'm finding tricky is that I would like the circuit to operate the light if you opened either door i.e. - both doors switch on/off the same lamp (only 1 lamp). I know that this would mean 2 switches (one for each door) but just can't get my head around the circuit layout.

Any help would be great, thanks.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
one simple way is to use a microswitch to detect when a door is opened. The other is to use a reed switch and a magnet on the door.

for two doors where you want the light to operate if either door is opened. The switches should be in parallel if the contacted are open when the doors are closed or in series of they are closed when the doors are closed.

microswitches may be easier because reed switches will have closed contacts when the door is closed.

Microseitches will likely be able to vary the full current for low voltage LED lights.

StockySkydiver

Apr 6, 2016
Thanks for the reply. Could you have a look at the jpeg I've uploaded? Have I understood you correct for using micro switches and having the contacts open when the doors are closed?

Attachments

• circuit.JPG
    circuit.JPG
    9.4 KB · Views: 80

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
looks fine. Remember to use low voltage.

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
Thanks for the reply. Could you have a look at the jpeg I've uploaded? Have I understood you correct for using micro switches and having the contacts open when the doors are closed?

A side note:
The circuit you just designed is the basic 2 input or gate.
So welcome to the world of digital electronics;)

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
More like welcome to the world of electrician (except low voltage) add an IC chip or electronics component then i'll gladly welcome you to the electronics world :)