Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Basic cable/wire

Douglas535

Mar 19, 2017
Hello all, I am not very familiar with electronics and how they work but I am interested in learning. I want to make a cable with a on/off switch at one end and at the other end there will be two pins to connect to the outlet in my vehicle... I imagine the pins will be Crimped to the wire/cables. The pins I plan on buying from my local BMW store... any ideas or help? Thanks!!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
. I want to make a cable with a on/off switch at one end and at the other end there will be two pins to connect to the outlet in my vehicle...

what are you switching on and off and what is the outlet that you are talking about ??

Douglas535

Mar 19, 2017
what are you switching on and off and what is the outlet that you are talking about ??
There is a 'sport mode' setting within the computer of my BMW that was never given access for odd/unsure reasons. I will be plugging this cable into a 12-pin connector that has open slots where the cable will plug in. Spot 8 and 10

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Let's see what might be possible reasons:

1. It will harm the engine.
2. It will violate emissions standards.
3. ?

Additional reason why you might not want to do this:

If the computer logs that fact that it has gone into this mode, you might invalidate your warranty.

I wouldn't mess with it, myself.

Bob

Douglas535

Mar 19, 2017
Let's see what might be possible reasons:

1. It will harm the engine.
2. It will violate emissions standards.
3. ?

Additional reason why you might not want to do this:

If the computer logs that fact that it has gone into this mode, you might invalidate your warranty.

I wouldn't mess with it, myself.

Bob
1. The sport mode is a factory preset in the computer and with a preset 'sport' that appears on the dash, it raises the rev limit a little and raises the rest rpm level at rest resulting in a more responsive engine.
2. Im not sure about emissions but that would be a good reason to not include it but have the option from he factory ready to activate.
3. Warranty is out ofas is so I enjoy playing around with it. Stage 2 aFe cold are intake, Active Autowerke charge pipe w/ BOV, burgermotorsport oil catch can...
Do you have any recommendation on my actual issue other than not to do it?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Not sure what you are asking then. You already have the source for the pins, which are the only thing you need to match to something else. Pretty much any wire and switch would do.

Bob

Douglas535

Mar 19, 2017
Not sure what you are asking then. You already have the source for the pins, which are the only thing you need to match to something else. Pretty much any wire and switch would do.

Bob
As stated I am unfamiliar with electronics, I could use a copper wire? does thickness or material used play into affect with these things?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
This is presumably a signal, which does not carry much current at all, so just about any wire would do. Pretty much all wire is copper wire.

Bob

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
As stated I am unfamiliar with electronics, I could use a copper wire? does thickness or material used play into affect with these things?

a length of speaker twin cable ( also known as figure 8 cable)

and a toggle switch here is one of a zillion examples

3691detail.jpg