Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Basic Audio Circuit Board Enquiry (novice)

Peet Walsh

Mar 19, 2017
Hi,

I was given a set of speakers & subwoofer. Every so often a really loud buzzing sound would happen until I played with the phono lead a bit. Unlike my old speakers, the other side of the phono lead is encased within the subwoofer. I thought I might be able to fix it myself by just swapping the cable so I opened up the subwoofer and pulled the other end off the circuit bored. Now I can't find a lead that has a small phono jack on one side and the bit that attaches it to the circuit bored on the other side. I'm not sure also what the connector is called but if I did I could cut a phono-phone cable up and reattach the circuit board connector side. I hope this makes sense! Could you please advise me of what the otherside of this phono jack cable is called please so I can try and fix it?! Or if there is such a cable already on the market. Please see image. No problem if you can't understand my ramble! Any advise would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• Cable.jpg
    Cable.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 92

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Female connectors like that are available in many sizes. There is enough wire length on your connector to solder on a new cable and cover the solder joints with shrink tubing. Buy a cable with two plugs like the one plug you need and cut off one plug. One wire is left channel, one wire is right channel and the wires without insulation are the shield.

Some cables are flimsy junk so do not buy the cheapest one.