Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Basic Animated Christmas Light Controller

maxwellmarshmallow

Sep 19, 2016
Hello Everyone!

I'll get right to it: I need to build a very simple animated Christmas Light Display controller. Basically something capable of doing this:
gingergread_men_animated.gif

I have a very basic level of electronics knowledge and would like to build a few units capable of both simple on/off flashing as well as switching between 2 to 5 light strings in sequence with some amount of delay. I can't imagine that this is that hard to do.

Now, while it's likely i can piece these things together with individual components if you have an idea for some pre-made unit off of Ebay that can be jerryrigged to work that's also an option. I figure it'd be a fun little electronics project to learn a bit more about the science and have something fun to show off for the upcoming Christmas season.

What I need from you experts: Any resources that might get me pointed in the right direction on making switches capable of the intended purpose like wiring diagrams, similar units I can cannibalize or copy, fundamental techniques for building time delay switches, or jokes at my noobie expense.

Thanks for your help!

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Maxwell. . . . . . .

In your animated GIF I see no animated flow occurring between positions . . . . it's just a switching on- off of two positions . . . which then seems to create a quite satisfactory animated effect !

Animated teeter totter.png

Seems like a solution would just be to replicate the RED triangle which is powered up all of the time.
Then the left and right postioned figures in each of the two shown positions in the illustration above.
Then each position gets powered up alternatively.
A comical variance might be to start the up an down action quite slowly and speed it up s..l..o..w..l..y until they are "teeter-tottering" at a break neck speed.
Naturally . . . . .stopping the max speed, far short of their resultant blending into a fixed action . . .by persistance of vision.
The LED's would look best if their created line pattern has them placed almost side by side, and more LED's than you show, would be needed, if you scale the unit on upwards in physical size.
Looks like the one tricky spot would be the positioning of the GREEN LED's where they have to be positioned ultra precisely in the area just right above the RED LED apex, being just below them.

Looks like you get to plan the unit and then the kids get to position and "stuff" the numerous different LED types . . .AND their count, then you solder up and final test.

This would require a cheeeeeeeep Chinese Red-Blue-Violet-White-Green and Orange LED and current limiting resistor sourcing.
You made a good choice of colors in the different positions !
With those smaller colors needed, ALSO agreeing with their higher unit prices.

73's de Edd

Last edited: