Connect with us

Basic adapter no output

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by pharaon, Jun 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Scroll to continue with content
  1. pharaon

pharaon

Oct 28, 2014
    The diodes are fine not shorted
    But no output
    What could be the reason

Attached Files:

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    upload_2016-6-11_10-22-37.png

do you have AC across my marked locations ??

if you don't then ......

most of these transformers have a thermal fuse on the mains AC side
    with the PSU unplugged from power use continuity tester or multimeter in Ohms range and look for resistance in the 500 to 1500 Ohms range across than mains plug

if you get open circuit, throw it out and get a replacement plugpack

Dave

HellasTechn likes this.
  3. pharaon

pharaon

Oct 28, 2014
    I open it found this white thing i think its the problem can any one tell me what is
    If i can't find similar part what would be a god replacement for it
    The numbers on it is
    323 umi
    1A 130C
    250 V~K1
    (ps)E jet

Attached Files:

4. pharaon

pharaon

Oct 28, 2014
    i went to buy another one it's not available only ,temperature resistor
    i would like to know what ohm and what i should get the replacement resistor

5. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    davenn likes this.
  6. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    This looks like a fuse as suggested and not a resistor thus it should have a very low resistance. It is rated to 130 degrees C.
    Why did it blow? Was there overload of the output or did the primary winding fail with a shorted turn?
    If the winding is faulty, can you rewind it?
    Can you solder in a replacement without it failing? I have never managed it.

7. pharaon

pharaon

Oct 28, 2014
    the primary winding didn't fail..i don't know why that thermal fuse fails maybe overheat

well i can't find thermal fuse in my area so i'm wondering what could be another good protection part to use rather than thermal fuse

8. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    You could fit a very low current fuse but may not find anough space to fit it.
    Try connecting across the fuse and, without load, check whether the transformer heats too much. Do not leave it unattended and do not touch any mains terminals.

9. HellasTechn

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
    It is not just a fuse. It is a thermal fuse. like davenn said.

davenn likes this.
  10. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

exactly, you cannot use anything other than a thermal fuse, else you will not have protection
    if you cannot get a thermal fuse, then bin the plugpack as I originally told you :)

Dave

HellasTechn and duke37 like this.
  11. HellasTechn

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
    A thermal fuse is a fuse that would blow not only if you draw excessive current but also if temprature climbs up to the specified point.
    So by not useing the same rating thermal fuse you risk overheating the coil and fire.

Remember there was a reason that made the original fuse blow in the first place (if the fuse is blown ofcource).

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    davenn likes this.
  12. pharaon

pharaon

Oct 28, 2014
    ok correct me if im wrong in this idea
    what will make the primary winding be overheating is more voltage than what it's design to work on
    so if i make sure the voltage and the current that is going to the AC side never exceed the coil specification then it wont get overheated..

so why don't i use regular fuse that will shut if it get overload voltage or current..so that the AC coil will always remain in it's regular temperature

13. pharaon

pharaon

Oct 28, 2014
    73's de Edd
    hope to know what do you think about that

14. HellasTechn

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
    You are wrong. First because you are not taking into consideration ambient temprature variations and second changes in magnetic flux within the transformer will cause temprature variation on the coil.

Besides why dont you just replace it with an other transformer of same specs and stay safe ?
    Or find the same type of thermal fuse ?

15. HellasTechn

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
    That sounds as a much more expensive way to deal with this issue than just replace the transformer.

16. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    not quite right

2 main things that will cause the transformer to overheat and the thermal fuse to operate

1) excessive current draw on the secondary side, which will increase the current on the primary side as the transformer tries to supply the extra current
    2) large voltage spike / surge on the primary side

we have no easy way of telling which of those 2 may have caused the failure, tho if there is a lack of other failed devices around the house
    then #1 would be the most likely reason

again ... a correctly rated thermal fuse is your ONLY safe option

Dave

HellasTechn likes this.
  17. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    The thermal fuse takes into account the dissipation in the transformer. An external fuse can never do this.
    You seem to think that the transformer is basically OK. One likely fault is that there are shorted turns. The wire has a very small diameter and the insulation is very thin. If two turns are shorted, then the transformer will heat the shorted turns. These transformers are scramble wound without interlayer insulation.
    That was why I suggested testing the transformer without a load.

Putiing a new thermal fuse in can be difficult, get it over 130 C and it is dead.

18. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    @pharaon

I'm going to close this thread now
    you have been given good advice to keep you safe. Please take it

Dave

Ask a Question