Connect with us

Balance pot.

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by Dave Plowman (News), Feb 26, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. I'm searching for a replacement balance pot for an old Harman Kardon amp -
    a PM645. It's an Alps 50k MN series - these are the type where the first
    half of the travel doesn't effect the level but the second half does (in
    other words no attenuation to either channel at the central indent), so a
    special for balance use. Other Japanese amps of the period used them too.
    The mechanical construction is standard dual gang 17mm body type with 6mm
    shaft, and as it's PCB mounting a direct replacement would be nice.

    The HK part number is 5113-50399122, but HK say they have no spares for
    this amp. Alps don't appear to list this pot either. And I'm worn out
    Googling. ;-)
  2. Eeyore

    Eeyore Guest

    If you can get the right type of log-antilog that'll do just as well nearly.
    Failing that try 'slugging'a linear pot with a couple of resistors to bend the

  3. These also are becoming hard to find - at least with my normal suppliers.
    Especially with the proviso I'd like an identical one physically due to
    the mounting arrangements.
    Yes I'd thought of that as I have suitable linear pots 'in stock'.
    However, both these approaches reduce the overall gain of the chain.
  4. Ross Herbert

    Ross Herbert Guest

    You might find somethiong on Ebay.

    Eg. Noble used to make an equivalent of the Alps Black Beauty or Blue
    Velvet pots. Try this link
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day