Connect with us

Bad TV Sound

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by johnpe, Mar 3, 2013.

1. johnpe

johnpe

Mar 3, 2013
    I'm a newbe here and pretty much a newbe to most things electronic. As noted by the title, I have a Westinghouse 32 inch flat screen TV purchased about 3-4 years ago that from time to time the sound gets really raspy. Went down to Best Buy yesterday to see what they could recommend. Their first recommendation was a sound bar. I'm not interested in a sound bar that cost about half as much as the TV when the radio in TV's are real cheapies. The TV has multiple right and left audio out connections that aren't being used. I do have a set of good speakers for a computer but the green plug in the speaker set won't plug into any of the ports. The plug tip will enter, but not the main part that would drive the speakers. They sold me a "Y" connector. The two short branches of the "Y" are supposed to connect to the right and left audio out connections and my green plug on the speaker wiring is supposed to plug into the last part of the "Y". It seemed like a good solution until I found only the tip of the green plug would enter the "Y". Help!! Please advise what you believe to be the best solution. Maybe the speakers will work if I can find proper connectors, maybe the speakers/radio in the TV can be repaired and if so, by whom, etc. If speakers will/can be added, will the volume control on the remote work?

Thanks a bunch!!

Johnpe

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi there

welcome to the forums :)

OK .... show us a sharp, well lit, photo or two of both the plugs on the end of the speaker cable and also the sockets on the back of the TV
    then some one may be able to help you else we have no real idea what you are referring to:)

Dave

3. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
  4. johnpe

johnpe

Mar 3, 2013
    Davenn and CocaCola, thanks a bunch for your responses and your time. I've got to run an errand for the wife after awhile and will be passing close to a Fry's. I don't really know what those connector names mean, but I'm going to try to find out. Last night I rummaged around and found two, three strand cables with red, yellow and white male connectors on the ends. These connectors will plug into the audio out connections on the TV. I have three sets of computer speakers of different makes and the green, male plug is the same for all sets. My guess is the plug just needs the female that CocaCola specified. I'm going to take it with me and if Frys has it, I'll give it a try. My guess is that using two of the multicolored plugs mentioned above and this female plug, I'll be able to make a "Y" cable and get the speakers working with the TV. Thanks again!

5. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    The green plug is a 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo plug...

You need to split that into a left and right phono (RCA) plug...

You adapater needs to be 1/8" (3.5mm) FEMALE so that you male plug fits in... The other end needs to be MALE photo (RCA) plugs exactly as pictured in my link...

FYI when you are talking about female and male counterparts in plugs it's just like human anatomy, on goes in the other ;)

Ask a Question