Connect with us

Bad transformer replacement

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by jeromeqc, Dec 29, 2012.

1. jeromeqc

jeromeqc

Dec 29, 2012
    Hi all,

About a year ago I bought an LCD TV Samsung LW26A33WX A second hand from someone who already repaired it.

This week it got broken again with an apparently very common issue on Samsung TVs where it goes on for a fraction of a second and then goes off with a clicking noise when trying to turn it on.

After searching around I found this French thread where someone else with the same model and the same issue got it fixed by changing a transformer on the inverter board. After searching some more I had enough luck to find this reference where someone shows how it tested the transformers on the same board.

So I got to use my first brand new multimeter for the first time to measure the ohm on the transformers of the V144-301 board. The number went up to 2.9 on each transformer but one, where nothing moved on the meter at all. Curiously, the font used to mark the part number is smaller on this transformer, as if it wasn't the original one.

Now that I think I identified the bad part, I don't have any clue what I need to buy to replace it. The part number on it is 4011A444000 but I can't find much online with this reference.

Does anyone know if I can find a replacement transformer (4011A444000) or will I need to change the whole inverter board? If I can only change the transformer, is it only the top part (it looks like there is top a top part snapped into it) or I will need to remove and install the whole part soldered in the board?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. jeromeqc

jeromeqc

Dec 29, 2012
    I don't know if it can help, but here's a close up on the bad transformer. There is 8 like that on the board and only this one seems to be bad.

IMG_20121229_180820.jpg

3. jeromeqc

jeromeqc

Dec 29, 2012
    To answer my own question, I had to search with the keywords: V144-301 and transformer on the Web. The part reference is different but I guess it must be compatible.

For others lurking around with the same issue, here's a neat tutorial that seems to explain everything about how to fix this issue for the same inverter board...

4. Jotto

Jotto

Aug 24, 2012
    Its the transformer for the lamps, you should be able to find the board on ebay. You more then likely will not be able to find the transformer itself.

Google the board number and see what you find.

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Some of the advice in that article seems a little spurious. Especially the part about using the same amount of solder. The point is to solder it properly and make a good joint, not to specifically use a certain amount of solder.

I would ask him where he got the replacement transformer.

6. Jotto

Jotto

Aug 24, 2012
    I would still get a complete board, if its a common problem with that unit, how long till you will need another one?

7. jeromeqc

jeromeqc

Dec 29, 2012
    Thanks for your replies!

I ended up ordering this part on eBay.

I know it would have been smarter to change the whole board but it would have cost around
    70$
    and I didn't want to spend so much for a TV I paid 120 euros.

I should receive the part this week and I'll get back here to let you know if it worked...

8. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Heh, it does tell you something about the reliability of this part (or perhaps this part in some common use) that it is available on ebay in bulk.

Good luck, and yes, please let us know how you get on.

9. electricianrar

electricianrar

Jan 2, 2013
    Better you have new board instead of soldering it to get the replacement done. And apart from that, are you looking this transformer for your Samsung LCD TV, right?

I

10. jeromeqc

jeromeqc

Dec 29, 2012
    As I already mentioned:

I also wanted to learn how to use a multimeter and a soldering iron. Changing the whole board would only require me to use a screwdriver and the rest of the good parts on the board would probably go to waste...

11. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    I had a fault with a similar-looking CCFL transformer in an old Sanyo LCD TV. CCFL transformers are a known common point of failure. I got my replacement from lcdparts.net.

12. jeromeqc

jeromeqc

Dec 29, 2012
    I received the transformer this morning and I replaced the dead one but it turned out I didn't order the right part reference.

I couldn't find anything for 4011A444000 but someone told me I only had to search for 4011A. The reference I ordered was 4006A so that should be why it didn't work.

That was a pretty dumb mistake but at least I learned how to search for parts. It took me a little while to get the solder off and remove the part but the soldering I did were very nice and clean. I was really proud, if only I could have ordered the right part...

I just found it now, I'll go buy it tomorrow and I'll get back here to let you know how it went.

13. jeromeqc

jeromeqc

Dec 29, 2012
    That's good, the TV is now repaired!

For others lurking around, the part reference to look for is 4011A.

That was very easy to fix, but only a little tricky to remove the plate on top of the inverter board without taking everything apart. I was able to slide the plate on the left (when facing the inverter board) by only removing the top left screw and lifting the plate supporting the main board a little.

14. socalpe.com

socalpe.com

Jan 26, 2013
    Thumbs up on repairing it!

How much did the repair end up costing you?

15. jeromeqc

jeromeqc

Dec 29, 2012
    The 4011A transformer sells for 9$ on eBay and it takes less than an hour to replace.

Ask a Question