Connect with us

Baby Monitor University Project

Discussion in 'Electronics Homework Help' started by ollyneedham, Mar 26, 2013.

1. ollyneedham

ollyneedham

Mar 26, 2013
    Hi,

I'm currently designing a baby monitor for my final year product design degree project.

The design comprises a standard baby monitor and receiver unit with wristbands that each parent wears. The innovation lies in the wristbands, which vibrate to wake just one parent for each disturbance (rather than current monitors which wake both parents who then have to decide who checks the baby.)

I'm looking for some help with the electronic components in each element of the design. But specifically at this stage for within the wristband. I know it has to have a small rechargeable battery (with micro USB connection), a blutooth module to pick up signals sent from the main unit - this activates a vibration motor and small speaker. The whole unit will be controlled by a microcontroller or PIC, which also controls charging, two LED lights and varies the voltage to the vibration motor so different vibration intensities can be delivered.

My first question concerns the microcontroller/PIC that controls the system. I don't know which to chose from the long list out there - or how to narrow down my options based on the constraints/requirement of my design. Can anyone help with this section or offer any advice about how I can integrate the components into as small a space as possible (similar size to the Jawbone UP or Nike Fuel wristbands.

Thanks in advance for any guidance - I may be willing to provide a small fee to anyone wanting to provide support and assistance through this project.

Regards,

Oliver Needham

2. ollyneedham

ollyneedham

Mar 26, 2013
    Wifi connectivity (baby monitor)

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a quick bit of guidance on what components I would need to send information via a wifi signal from one unit (a baby monitor picking up audio signals) to another unit (in the parents room, which picks up the wifi signals and generates a vibration to wake the parents.)

I'm quite a novice so any bit of advice would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Olly

Ask a Question