Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Axial Fans

Lehigh375

Aug 22, 2013
I have a water cooler that is enclosed in a cabinet and am afraid that the heat may damage the unit because there is very little air circulation around it. I would like to install an axial type fan in the rear wall to dissipate the heat. I would like it if the fan did not run continuously so I would like to connect it to the circuitry of the cooler so when the water cooler turned on so would the fan and would shut off when the units shuts off. I have looked at the Noctua A14 because it is seems to be very quiet. Can this be done?
Thanks.

Simy

Aug 23, 2013
Your post is missing some important information to be able to assist you. Are you trying to power the fan from something that powers the water cooler? If so what is that, does it supply enough power to power the fan? Are you talking about running it off of the power supply to the water pump? If so what voltage is it?

IF you want to power it off of a 12 vdc circuit, and you have enough power to spare to power the fan, then sure it should be pretty easy no need to get too complicated. If on the other hand you don't have a 12 volt circuit with 0.008 amps to spare for the fan then you would need to run another wire and you can use several things to switch the fan off and on, like a transistor or mosfet.

If I haven't answered your question what are the specifics of what you would like to do?

Lehigh375

Aug 22, 2013
Water Cooler

I would like to use a 120v, 80-120mm fan if possible and vent it into a flexible duct. I would let it run continuously and NOT wire it into the water cooler like I originally thought. I googled
quiet fan but am not sure which to use or how to wire it.
Thanks

Y2KEDDIE

Sep 23, 2012
Axial Fan

As long as your fan is impedance protected (meaning it will have enough impedance to keep it from ever burning up if it stops), your good to go. I my opinion , it's better to keep the motor running all the time, rather than cycling.

I vent my enclosed battery boxes for SCADA systems with these little 4" fans. I have some running continuously since 1993.

Lehigh375

Aug 22, 2013
I am new to this forum. Would it be wrong to ask Y2KEDDIE what brand of fan he uses and how can I tell if a fan is impedance protected?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I am new to this forum. Would it be wrong to ask Y2KEDDIE what brand of fan he uses and how can I tell if a fan is impedance protected?

The only questions that will get you into trouble are ones that might suggest you are breaking laws or manufacturing a weapon.

Asking someone for information is right at the other end of this spectrum.

Y2KEDDIE

Sep 23, 2012
Any impedance protected fan will suffice Just google Impedance protected axial fan, there are many to choose from.