Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Automation seems easy but what am I missing?!?!

boyd

Oct 7, 2016
Infact I see there are 230vac pneumatic solenoids available too.

boyd

Oct 7, 2016
Hi. The times I alternate between treated and non treated timber are within weeks. Its not very often I use treated timber but its definitely a hassle having to change over machines.

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
That would be the simplest implementation, but also the least intelligent in the sense that it will be a simple on/off with the tool that you tap into.

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Hi. The times I alternate between treated and non treated timber are within weeks. Its not very often I use treated timber but its definitely a hassle having to change over machines.
Well, I see no way around this - you have a separate extractor for the treated wood, presumably you are swapping the main trunk connection between DC's. That means that all the drops stay the same, just the extractor is moved. That shouldn't take very long, well... then again, that all depends on how the system is plumbed.

boyd

Oct 7, 2016
Too true! But sorting out a time delay on the extractor will be no problem. Even a single time delay relay with multiple inputs.

boyd

Oct 7, 2016
Hmmm. Im going to do it! Just need to design my gate now for the pneumatic cylinder and cut it out on my cnc router. Yes having two extractors is a bit of a bonus.

boyd

Oct 7, 2016
I can work it so I can electric/pneumatic control which extractor is utilized. That will be easy. In the old days I had one extractor which meant emptying it out every time I changed timbers. I am a bit of a greeney.

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Hmmm. Im going to do it! Just need to design my gate now for the pneumatic cylinder and cut it out on my cnc router. Yes having two extractors is a bit of a bonus.
LOL, good for you! It took me 2.5 years :D:eek: I would suggest a trial run with one gate at a time including your time delay before committing too many resources. That way you can tweak your prototype as you inevitably find improvements as the design progresses.
Cheers

boyd

Oct 7, 2016
Mr Chopnhack. Excellent advice. I just have to laugh when I realise how uncomplicated it has become. I read a post previously about using an arduino board which was an idea I played with. Purchasing one of those ended up in my building cnc equipment ha.

Now I want to automate everything......everything lol

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Mr Chopnhack. Excellent advice. I just have to laugh when I realise how uncomplicated it has become. I read a post previously about using an arduino board which was an idea I played with. Purchasing one of those ended up in my building cnc equipment ha.

Now I want to automate everything......everything lol

LOLOL - We are in the same boat. I have been smitten by that bug for a long time - years before I even came here, just didn't have the resources or skills to start. My project was uncomplicated too, LOL - see my pictoral of what the circuit should be. Caveat - once you start, and its a worthy goal, it may be some time before you finish your project.... start anyway ;):D

boyd

Oct 7, 2016
Hey I do have one question though just to be sure. Using a LED lighting power supply is ok for a pneumatic solenoid provided the voltage and amperage meets the requirements of the solenoid yes?

There is nothing special about a power supply just because its for LED strips? 24vdc 1A is 24vdc 1A and thats that huh?

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
provided the voltage and amperage meets the requirements of the solenoid yes?

There is nothing special about a power supply just because its for LED strips? 24vdc 1A is 24vdc 1A and thats that huh?
Fair enough, but the link I looked at seemed to be some dodgy Chinese knockoff. I ordered a power supply like that one time and did not feel comfortable using it. They typically use cap. reactance to step down the voltage.

boyd

Oct 7, 2016
Oh for sure! Yes I am looking at some different models for a bit more money and more reputable suppliers. And at double the price......now $4 each ha

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
I make a point of not using AC solenoids, but much prefer the DC variety, I have see too many coil burn outs with AC especially if the armature spool fails to completely move over for some reason, also some have manually poked the armature over when the other side of a double coil type ending up with a blown board or a burnt coil.
M.

boyd

Oct 7, 2016
Hi. I have pretty much decided to install a transformer inside each machine in its own enclosure which will give me 24vdc output to run the solenoids and extractor when the machine is powered on.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/dc-..._1&btsid=852997f7-0199-4757-9cdd-bc3857698c7e

Or something similar will do. Then all I have is low voltage coming out of the machine and being 24vdc will also power any sensors if I decide to install one for an automatic safety gate or automatic clamp etc.

This has very quickly become easy and simple. Now all I have to do is design a gate for my 100mm extraction system using a micro pneumatic cylinder. Thats the easy part!