Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Automatically play CD when power comes on

Scavenger

Jun 3, 2014
Hi:

I have an old CD/Cassette player that I'd like to have the CD automatically start to play when the unit is powered on. I plan to connect it to a 12V battery (with solar panel and charge controller) and light sensor. Right now, I have to push the PLAY button on the CD to have it start. What would likely be required to bypass the PLAY so that the light sensor delivering power to the player could trigger the PLAY being pressed? The CD also has a "repeat" function so it restarts the CD once the last track has finished. I'd like to have it automatically repeat, so how do I bypass the "repeat" button so it's always on?

I can open up the unit (I think) to get pics if necessary.

Thanks. :)

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hello and welcome to Electronics Point.

Have you tried taping the Play button down and turning the unit ON? This might make it start playing automatically. If you test this thoroughly and it works, then you know all you need to do is to bridge the pushbutton terminals. Or you could use a mechanical solution to actually keep the button pushed; this would be easier to remove later.

The same might work for the Repeat button as well. It's simple enough to test it out.

davpankhur

Jun 5, 2014
can you tell us how you want it to finally play out?
I assume, you want the cd player to power on when there is light in the room (e.g. when you turn on the room light), then the cd payer starts to play and it repeats forever until you turn off the lights (which then cut off the power to the cd player) ?

calmsea

Jun 3, 2014
Is it going to play "Here comes the sun" every time the sun comes out? 'Cause that might get old pretty quick. ;)

Scavenger

Jun 3, 2014
Sorry for the delay in replying, and thanks the replies.

I tried putting an elastic band around the unit to hold the play button down. That worked to get the CD playing when it was powered on. With the play button being held down I was unable to get the repeat button to perform it's function. So I can at least get it to play a CD once at sunset.

What I'm trying to create is a solar-powered radio that I plan to use to discourage some nuisance birds that have recently (last five years) taken up nesting on an island very near to my house. Was was thinking I'd burn a CD with some hard-rock songs inter-mixed with some birds of prey calls. Was hoping to have it play for a few hours each nite, Hopefully, it will discourage them from nesting there. Also plan to take other steps (ie: old CD's hanging on strings, bright red ribbons, owl decoys, etc) to bother them during the day.

It's too late to do anything this year since they're already settled in, but I'm planning ahead for next year.

If I can't get the repeat to work, I could always reduce the size/quality of the songs so that I can fit more onto a CD (and therefore longer run time). I don't think the birds will notice that "Back In Black" isn't the usual quality of recording. ;-)

Thanks.

Scavenger

Jun 3, 2014
I plan to have a solar collector and charge controller to charge a 12V car battery during the day. The light sensor will apply power to the cd-player when the sun goes down.

davpankhur

Jun 5, 2014
Are the birds native to the area/region? If they are, can you get me in contact with them so i can help them drive you out :p
Seriously, If they are, please learn to co-exist.

back to the point, I think heavy metal music is not a good solution at all and it would problem annoy others. I would use ultrasound or high frequency sounds if anything.
The best solution would be to provide them a home somewhere else around there but far enough not to hassle you. Copy the environment just like how they are now and google search improvements so that it will be really attractive for them to relocate.

If they are native, there are many ideas to try:
1) use a digital mp3 player, they use very little power - you could probably switch on/off the speakers but keep the player running 24/7
2) use 2 solenoids to press the 2 buttons - a timer may be needed here.