Connect with us

Auto NIght Light

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by durkmusic, Mar 8, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. durkmusic

durkmusic

Oct 9, 2011
    I'm trying to build a night light which automatically turns on when it's dark and off when it's bright. I can figure out the circuit it's just one thing I'm missing and have been missing for a while.

Problems: I can't figure out how to control an AC load with a DC signal. Basically, I want a certain voltage to be either on or off. When the voltage is on, the ac current will pass through the bulb and the light will be on. When there is no voltage, the bulb circuit will be open and the light will be off. I've searched relays, triacs, etc. I can't find anything that works besides relays! Maybe I'm missing something here. I don't really want to use relays so I'm trying to find an alternative.

Thanks.

2. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    The relay is a good choice here since it can isolate the mains supply from the low voltage DC supply.
    You can use a triac but the DC supply will be live and needs good isolation from ground or human.

Ask a Question