Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Audio - TV Extension Speakers

David Aungier

Sep 4, 2017
Hi, I am looking to add a couple of extension speakers to my Samsung TV. I struggle to hear TV dialogue over the musical/ background noise. This is no doubt connected to the fact that I am an old sod with typical hearing. Before I get into 'all around sound' and bass/treble control systems. I would like to try something simple ie a couple of small extension speakers positioned where I sit when viewing. This would give me the chance to fiddle about to see just how much improvement I can achieve (if any) before getting into more complex and expensive systems. Initially I am quite happy to trail wires to the speaker set up for the sake of the experiment. I have looked inside the TV and gleaned a certain amount of info and have taken a few pics that might be of assistance.At this point I have produced more Qs than As and I am hoping that forum members will be able to give me guidance and suggestions. The TV is Samsung curved/flat screen, Model UE49MU6220K. The speakers: C97J15BJO1 BJ 6? 10W BN96-35009B. I would be keen to receive advice on how best to connect speakers and if it is acceptable to splice into the existing cables, either in parallel or series. Also need to know if I can use speakers of a different rating to the existing.I am looking to upload some pics soon but having problem with that at the moment. Regards Onja.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
if it is acceptable to splice into the existing cables, either in parallel or series.
Speakers in parallel will overload the audio amplifier's output stage.
Speakers in series will reduce the intensity of the audio and you'll have to crank up the volume considerably.

Have you thought about other options like a pair of Bluetooth speakers or WiFi connected speakers? The e-manual describes how to use them on pages 78-79.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
My hearing got worse as I got older so I went for a free hearing test when I was 69 years old. The results were normal for my age and needed double the amount of treble boost that my stereo could produce. They programmed and loaned me modern hearing aids that worked perfectly so I bought them. They give me a free test and any adjustment that is needed every year.
My Canadian government paid for some of the hearing aids cost since I am a retired senior.

The hearing aids have features that normal hearing cannot do like front, back, left and right directionality, noise reduction, extra sensitivity, music or muting all selected with a button on either hearing aid. The inexpensive tiny batteries each lasts for 10 days to 2 weeks.

David Aungier

Sep 4, 2017
Speakers in parallel will overload the audio amplifier's output stage.
Speakers in series will reduce the intensity of the audio and you'll have to crank up the volume considerably.

Have you thought about other options like a pair of Bluetooth speakers or WiFi connected speakers? The e-manual describes how to use them on pages 78-79.
Thanks, that might be the way to go. However, before I get into that, I was thinking of pos removing the speakers and trying them out in various positions in the room to see if it improves the sound. I hear too much bass (senior thing) and turning up the volume just seems to drown out the treble and speech becomes muffled. Do you think there would be a voltage drop over say 4metres?

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Like I said, you and I have high frequency hearing loss that is normal for seniors. A treble tone control turned up to maximum is not enough and it would drive away anybody who has normal hearing.
You need a free hearing test and hearing aids programmed for your hearing loss.

oiphy

Dec 16, 2019
no problem using 4m long cables. use 1,5mm2 or thicker.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I'd go with a bluetooth speaker........simple, cheap, easy to install.
Most have really good output for their size.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
I'd go with a bluetooth speaker........simple, cheap, easy to install.
Most have really good output for their size.
David the thread starter says he is old and "I hear too much bass (senior thing) and turning up the volume just seems to drown out the treble and speech becomes muffled."
I am 75 years old and my hearing was like that until I got hearing aids with the extreme amount of high frequency boost needed and programmed which is normal for my age. A Bluetooth speaker cant doo dat.