Connect with us

Audio induction coil

Discussion in 'Audio' started by a.mlw.walker, Nov 17, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. a.mlw.walker

a.mlw.walker

Nov 15, 2011
    Hi guys,
    wasnt sure where to ask this, so went for General...
    I am outputting pcm audio data through a pwm pin of an ATMega1284, with an RC circuit and a 3.5mm jack I can hear the audio through headphones.
    I want to replace that with an induction loop like the hearing aids use or one of these (the loop bit)
    http://www.spyearpiece.co.uk/produc...packages-bluetooth/spy-earpiece-bluetooth-kit

I was reading people have done it from their hifi's, with loops around their sofa's, but I wasnt sure of the actualy "science" required to do this. I assume for distance, I need reasonable voltage (powering avr from 3.3 volts currently), and perhaps an op amp.
    Anyone got a circuit or something they could suggest, I was gonna try with just a loop of wire, but I think I need to match the impedence, but Im not sure what to match it to...

2. Timescope

Timescope

Aug 30, 2012
    The item you referred to uses Bluetooth technology which is a wireless transmission system operating in the 2.4GHz band. You can do a google search for bluetooth kits for home audio.
    Timescope.

3. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    Audio loops for deaf aids use quite a large current. The bigger the loop, the larger the current requied.

The current can be reduced if multiple turns are used and this is often used to get a resistance nearer to the load required by the amplifier. An approximate current drive can be made by using a higher voltage and a series resistance. Proper loop drivers use current negative feedback.

It is many years since I played with this but there were details of the field strength required on the net.

4. a.mlw.walker

a.mlw.walker

Nov 15, 2011
    induction loop

Timescope, I think you need to look again - bluetooth is used to send the data to the unit I posted, but then an induction loop is used to transmit the audio to the earpiece - it is this I am trying to replicate. I know what bluetooth is, and there are many bluetooth modules on the market.

Thanks Duke, thats a bit more like what I was after...

5. Timescope

Timescope

Aug 30, 2012
    Thanks for the explanation.

Timescope

6. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    Wikipedia has a page on audio induction loops and refers to a British Standard which can be used to design a loop. It can be simple and crude or complex and expensive.

You will need a device with a pick-up coil and an amplifier - maybe a scrap hearing aid will do.

Ask a Question