Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Audio amplifier

Karthik rajagopal

May 9, 2016
Hi all,
Recently I made an audio amplifier circuit using lm 386 IC. It works well. The thing that I noticed while changing the 10 microfarad capacitor across the pins 1 and 8 ( gain pins) with a lower valued capacitor (0.1 micro farad) was an obvious change in the sound. I got all the high pitched tones amplified with a suppressed low pitched tone. Why is there an amplification of a particular tone with regards to capacitance. Can anyone explain this?

Thanks in advance

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
The thing that I noticed while changing the 10 microfarad capacitor across the pins 1 and 8 ( gain pins) with a lower valued capacitor (0.1 micro farad) was an obvious change in the sound. I got all the high pitched tones amplified with a suppressed low pitched tone. Why is there an amplification of a particular tone with regards to capacitance. Can anyone explain this?

because you have changed the freq response of the audio path in the chip the smaller value capacitor 0.1uF instead of the recommended 10uF
is producing a high pass filter.

There is no reason to be using a 0.1uF in that position

Karthik rajagopal

May 9, 2016
because you have changed the freq response of the audio path in the chip the smaller value capacitor 0.1uF instead of the recommended 10uF
is producing a high pass filter.

There is no reason to be using a 0.1uF in that position
What do you mean by frequency response?