Maker Pro
Maker Pro

ATX load regulation

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Does any one know how to improve load regulation on the 12 volt rail, as the best control is nomally the 5 volt rail. could a diode on the 5 volt rail in line, then join the 12 volt rail improve load regulation, or would there be no differance, i know the 12 volt rail can vary from 11.40 volts to 12.60 would the 5 volt rail share the load, and the diode so as not to impose one voltage on the other, if that makes sense, or is load regulation more involved to fix on the 12 volt rail, ie feed back ? .
Dave.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
You can move the control/regulation over to the 12V rail if you can afford to loose control/regulation on the 5V rail.
You can also make a mixed regulation of them both, but you can' get good regulation on them both.
You'd need individual primary switching transistors & transformers to achieve that.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
ATX psu modding

Hi Resqueline.
Thanks for your reply. So i really only need the 12 volts rail on this particular atx unit for radio use, i will google around as well, but do you think its a tall order to rearrange from the 5 volt rail to the 12 volt rail, i think i am going to need to break a schematic down to find the answer, all these units put out about the same spec, but slight difference in lay out and components from one unit to the other.

Ive modded a few now, and on some, regulation is better on some than with others. I dont expect perfection, but the same regulation under load on the 12 volt rail as there is with the 5 volt rail would be a plus, i have got large currents out of some units, but usually at the expense of a voltage drop, about the low end of the 12 volt rail so 11.40 volts at about 8 amps or so, the supply could manage more if the load regulation was switched over from the 5 volt rail, while 11.40 volts will still power what i want, its a little low, most of the gear is rated for 13.80 volts use, but i know there is a tolerance there for this gear, 11.50 volts on the low end and 14.50 volts 0n the top end, the steady 12.20 volts or close would do fine.

Not only that, but i know the 12 volt rail was not intended to be the driving regulation on load for that rail.
I would think i am looking for the feed back, or some kind of comparator part of the circuit on the 5 volt rail. I will try and find a schematic close in operation to what i am looking for.
Dave. :)

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
I haven't actually done this mod myself so I can't vouch for the results or if there would be any issues, but in theory you should be able to get a rock-steady 13.8V.
Just look for a resistor "pick-off" point on the 5V. It should go to an IC and another resistor forming a voltage divider. Simply move (& change) the first resistor to the 12V.
After the mod you must check that the 5V doesn't exceed the capacitor ratings during heavy 12V loading.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Ok thanks for the advice, its a bit closer to getting there, yes if i leave the 5 volt rail in poor condition its just as likely to shut itself down, got sloppy tonight wack :eek: huge shock up the left arm, wrong arm as well, tired, i got careless, ticker seems ok have to keep a check on BP and pulse any way as part of treatment.

Any way thanks. I must be more careful, or one of these days i might do the job properly.
Dave. :)