Maker Pro
Maker Pro

attenuator for 170 GHz frequency

manthan_genious

Jul 29, 2010
hi, everyone.

i need to convert my 10 dbm,170 GHz signal in to -1 dbm,170 GHz. so which kind of attenuator is best for me.??

NickS

Apr 6, 2010
it will not work. i need specific attenuator that down convert the power.

manthan_genious-
How is it that you can be working with 170GHz and not know how to attenuate it? Perhaps I am being to harsh. What operations can you do with your 170GHz signal(amplify, mix, filter...)? I don't know how Dave came up with his figures but I think he has somehow calculated that the power loss for UT 141 will be around 11dB/ 10cm at 170GHz so 10cm of the line would effectively reduce your power by 11dB ie +10dBm to -1dBm.

Why exactly are you so certain that this will not work (the length and type of coax were both quite specific)?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
it will not work. i need specific attenuator that down convert the power.

manthan_genious-
10cm of UT141 will indeed provide lots of attenuation at 170GHz it will lower the power well

maybe you need to give some more info like power levels involved so that a specific attenuator could be suggested

hey NickS .... I have to admit to being just a little "tounge in cheek" with my response to manthan_genious ... as stated above he didnt give much in the way of specifications.
for all I know he could be producing a kW and UT 141 aint going to withstand that.
But the principle of using specific lengths of coax as a good 50Ohm dummy load or attenuator are quite valid. Tho I doubt that you are going to find any specs for any coax at 170GHz (let alone >50GHz) hahahaha

In reality, I would have to assume there is maybe waveguide involved somewhere ?????
Again I say not enuf info given by the one asking the question ;)

cheers
Dave

NickS

Apr 6, 2010
manthan_genious,
Perhaps this needs to be said and is past due. If you are indeed working with frequencies up at 170,000,000,000Hz then you are essentially charting new territory. I doubt that you are doing military work since they would probably hire seasoned RF veterans for such a task. And I doubt you are doing commercial work since it would be very impractical to forge into 170GHz bands when their is plenty of usable frequencies much lower. So I guess I would asses that you are working at a university. It seems to fit the mold forging new territory, large budget and smart but inexperienced help.

The point is you are not at all likely to find someone in a forum that has also been working at 170GHz. Engineers working at 50GHz are very rare but we have one of those in Dave.

My point is this, we may be able to tell you what works at much lower frequencies but we do not know what is practical at 170GHz. There are no off the shelf parts for 170GHz. There are hardly any if any custom parts made for 170GHz. And I have never even seen an instrument capable of looking at 170GHz without aliasing. I do wish you good luck with your project but you need to understand that your questions are not readily and simply solved. My guess is that there is a lot of trial and error in your future.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
The point is you are not at all likely to find someone in a forum that has also been working at 170GHz. Engineers working at 50GHz are very rare but we have one of those in Dave.

and I am a long way from being an expert

After 47GHz I will be looking for a way to double my 38GHz transmit signal to 76GHz thats is going to be a serious challenge. and will involve some indepth consultation with my American friends.

Nick, I looked up your map co-ordinates, assuming thats the area you actually live ;) havent been to that city yet, just along the interstate to the south travelling between Vegas and Denver :)

cheers
Dave

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Nick, I looked up your map co-ordinates,

Hahaha, I just did too. I was there a couple of years ago in a courtroom to listen to a day in a case that interested me greatly.

NickS

Apr 6, 2010
The mountains are my security blanket. I really don't like being without them for too long.