Maker Pro
Maker Pro

attachments

leonel

Jan 19, 2013
I have some pictures of a circuit that I would like to share. How do I send them as an attachment. I tried once but it seems it didn't work for me. What might I have done wrong???

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
There are size limits. They may be too large.

Alternatively, upload them to an external image hosting site and post the url (you can also use the image function to display them, but some external hosting sites make this tricky)

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
What was the filesize and type that you were trying to upload? Most filetypes/sizes should work, but as Steve says, it could be too large.

leonel

Jan 19, 2013
I copied four pages of a magazine into 'Pecasa' where i have a few thousand photos of my grandchildren and other important events of my family. I have sent photos to people and have had no difficulties. These four pages of a magazene should have been delivered I would think. As to creating a URL-that is beyond my knowledge of computing. There must be an easier way.

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
You can use this thread as a test if you'd like. Try clicking the green "Post Reply" button (rather than using the text box at the bottom of threads) and then click the "manage attachments" button - you should then be able to click the "browse" buttons and then upload one of the image files from your PC that way :).

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
thats wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too large

use a program .... say thumbs plus to resize and compress them

keep files to 100 kb max and a pixel size of ~ 800 x 600

Dave

leonel

Jan 19, 2013
resizing my file from 11.4 MB down to 100kb is beyond my knowledge of computers. Do you have any other suggestions? If so, please let me know. If we use another medium such as 'Email" I think I would be able to send the files to you. please let me know or if you hyave some other idea.

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
thats the easiest way to do it
anyone with minimum computer knowledge and some software can resize images

no you cant email them still wayyyyyyyyyyyy too big for most email inboxes

find a computer literate friend at school who can show you how to resize images
it really is very easy :)

Dave

Last edited:

leonel

Jan 19, 2013
thats the easiest way to do it
anyone with minimum computer knowledge and some software can resize images

no you cant email them still wayyyyyyyyyyyy too big for most email inboxes

find a copmputer literate friend at school who can show you how to resize images
it really is very easy :)

Dave

I don't know anybody thats still in school to help me. A lot of my class mates may have Alzheimers by now. I hope not for they would have to be my age (77) or more. I guess I will try to find a ZIP program and see if it will compress my file enough to satisfy this forum. You say that the Email idea is not good-then why can I send pictures to my daughter? Don't get me wrong-I am not trying to be some sort of wise guy- I am serious in trying to fix my problem and hopefully it will also help someone else. I a was not kidding about my age; I started to build this model railroad power pack back in 1977. So if you can please give me a hand. Thank you :)

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I don't know anybody thats still in school to help me. A lot of my class mates may have Alzheimers by now. I hope not for they would have to be my age (77) or more. I guess I will try to find a ZIP program and see if it will compress my file enough to satisfy this forum. You say that the Email idea is not good-then why can I send pictures to my daughter? Don't get me wrong-I am not trying to be some sort of wise guy- I am serious in trying to fix my problem and hopefully it will also help someone else. I a was not kidding about my age; I started to build this model railroad power pack back in 1977. So if you can please give me a hand. Thank you :)

LOL ok on the age, you have a wee few years on me ;) Im just a young 53

You cannot email items to a forum, only upload

OK son's daughters that are puter savvy ?
zipping them isnt any good either as they still would have to be unzipped to their full size to view them
Assuming you are using a windows based computer ? ... download a program called IrfanView from http://www.irfanview.com/ <---- click on this link
install it and when you have done that i will talk you through using it

I am sure your daughter would appreciate her email box not being filled with 11 MB files as well ;)
My email will only acceept files up to ~ 2.5 MB in size before it says to reduce the size

cheers
Dave

leonel

Jan 19, 2013
Hi Dave;

Just call me Leo

I have downloaded irfanview and am ready to exercise my grey matter(not hair).

Here waiting----

leonel

Jan 19, 2013
LOL ok on the age, you have a wee few years on me ;) Im just a young 53

You cannot email items to a forum, only upload

OK son's daughters that are puter savvy ?
zipping them isnt any good either as they still would have to be unzipped to their full size to view them
Assuming you are using a windows based computer ? ... download a program called IrfanView from http://www.irfanview.com/ <---- click on this link
install it and when you have done that i will talk you through using it

I am sure your daughter would appreciate her email box not being filled with 11 MB files as well ;)
My email will only acceept files up to ~ 2.5 MB in size before it says to reduce the size

cheers
Dave

First off call me Leo and not Sir---I was an enlisted man myself.
I have downloaded Irfanview and am waiting for your instructions. I live in pennsylvania and I have to leave around 7:30 pm. Up until then i will be free and also around 9:30 PM on to what ever time I will be free.

Thanks Leo :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Leonel, you should NEVER accept advice from random people on the internet to install software on your computer.

Nevertheless, I am about to give you advice of that nature.

The program I use is this: http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

Presuming you are running Windows, you download and install this. Then you can right click on an image in the file manager and it will allow you to resize it (without overwriting the original).

I tend to use a custom size of 400 x 400 for most images I post here when I need to resize them.

The way this tool works is that it resizes images to fit in a box the size you ask for. So an image originally 800 x 200, resized to fit in 400 x 400 will end up 400 x 100 pixels (it doesn't change the aspect ratio).

If you want to email photos to friends, a larger size like their hard-coded "large" is better.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I believe irfanview has similar functionality, it's just not the tool I am currently using. You may prefer to follow Dave's advice since you're part-way down that route.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi Steve and Leo

Steve if your suggestion is just a basic resizing/compression prog then thats all
Leo really needs
Irfanview is a full editing program, its a free one I will stick onto computers that I dont wanna pay a second or third licence for for my other progs like Thumbsplus or Lightroom

Leo just hand on installing infranview till steve responds

Dave

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yeah, this is just a resizing tool which integrates with the windows file manager. You just right click and say resize, then follow a simple dialog.

If you don;t need anything else, it's very simple.

I have irfanview too, but I use it for generating slideshows and other stuff. I don't think it has the integration with the context menu that this tool has.

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
OK Leo

if you just need resizing go with what Steve suggested :)

http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

dont delete the Irfranview prog you downloaded
its quite a good image manipulation prog that you may like to experiment with and learn some new tricks :)
I would be happy to walk you through some of that in future times

I will also d/l the one steve suggested so I can see how it world and offer help if needed :)

Dave