Connect with us

Attaching multiwatt chip

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by David123, Aug 11, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. David123

David123

Aug 11, 2016
    Hello, it sounds stupid but how would you properly insert a multiwatt IC to some stripboard? I have a tda7266 and I'd like to position so it is straight on the edge of the board. However the pins do not align to all of the holes when I try and place it. Would they have to be bent? Thanks

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Welcome to ep, David.
    Certainly. Or drill holes where the leads go. Make certain that you do not create any short circuits.

3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    An adapter socket of some type maybe?
    Accepts pins of the IC, and fits the pin configuration of your strip board.

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Or mount the IC on a heat sink and use wires to connect it to the stripboard.

Bob

5. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Possibly the best solution in therms of thermal management (aka cooling the chip).
    Observe the datasheet for max. wire length (inductance) ans possibly recommended decoupling (or bypass) capacitors for the power supply pins.
    Use shrink tube to insulate the wire connections at the chip package to avoid short circuits due to bent leads.

davenn likes this.
  6. David123

David123

Aug 11, 2016
    Thanks for your help everyone. I think I'll bend the leads but not laterally. I'll just use a drill to create some extra holes.

Ask a Question