Connect with us

Attaching an LED to radio

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by tarhorse, Feb 28, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. tarhorse

tarhorse

Feb 28, 2011
    Hello there everyone, I am working on a project for school where I want to take an existing radio and attach an LED that will respond to the amplitude of the signals being received by the radio, is this possible? is this a ridiculous idea? If anyone has any suggestions or references to relevant helpful material, please let me know. Thanks a bunch.

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    yes it is possible. even better using a LED bargraph display to have a really good "S" Meter (Signal Strength Meter). Where you will run into problems is seeing if there is a place to extract RSS (received signal strength) voltage, without a circuit diagram of the radio its going to be very difficult.
    Some FM receiver IF (Intermediate Frequency) chips have an output pin specifically for that purpose.

Dave

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Finding the AGC can be a good place to start :)

Ask a Question